Have Malibu even updated the TXI hull since 2017? Which is the best Ski Boat still please? Prostar?

DMR

• Baller_

All of the Big Three produce great skiing boats for slalom. I ski a lot of tournaments behind different boats and I’d have an impossible time differentiating in a “blind taste test.” That said, and taking aesthetics and cost out of the equation, some people prefer one hull over the others for trick skiing and some believe that there is a hierarchy in how well they drive in the slalom course.

Lpskier

• Members

well I know this can be an emotional one, I have largely skied behind a TXI for 15 years, when my w/ski club in 2020 decided to buy another one, I couldn't face another 15 TXI years when I had skied behind Pro Stars and Ski Nautiques outside of my club time, so I walked and left the club. I met by accident one of the long standing members yesterday and he said "you were right, we have had the new TXI for 1.5 years only and its got to go". The newer flatter hulls of the MC & Nautiques seem to be a no brainer, just wondering why Malibu never got round to it? or maybe they have

• Baller

Perhaps a better opening question might be, “What improvements has Malibu made to the Txi hull over the past 15 years?” thereby steering away from the dead horse of “who has the best wake?”

Otherwise, if you’re able to walk away from your ski club and your ski buddies solely because you don’t like the Malibu option then you must be blessed enough to have other skiing options or not find it essential.

• Members

thanks what else differs in the hull design or fins used at the front etc pls? Our club cant afford a Ski Natique anyway, so if they now want to replace the latest TXI what else is there but a Prostar ?

• Members

One of the Club founders who is a high end skier at a level beyond me and was reposonsible for opposing me, in choosing the new TXI, now goes to ski behind a friends 10 year old mastercraft instead on a short rope and says this is much better

• Baller

@DMR lowest and flattest at what lines and speeds? I haven't met a big 3 I haven't liked at 28 off to 39off and 34/36 mph including 20 year old boats. Longer lines slower speeds there are differences, there are differences in drive-ability(tho after acclimation I can drive short-line in any one of 'em) and trick skiing ability.Had Txi's at a club--not built like a MC or Nautique--never have been. Very good but not quite the same level. As for skiing/driving the Txi--no issue other than I would have liked more zip out of the hole and always found the driving position to be in the bottom of a bathtub--I shouldn't need a seat cushion.Prostar if I were buying today even though I drank Nautique kool aid way back when.

• Baller

The only problem I have encountered with the newer Malibu is the sightline for driving in the course. Once I got used to that all was good. They all (big 3) ski great and drive great. No issues with wake size. I definitely don't care what boat I get at a tournament.

• Administrators

Really there are 4 boats. 2 Nautiques, the Malibu and the ProStar.

I have not skied the latest Malibu at all speeds but generally, I consider it to be a fine boat. I cannot recall anyone complaining about getting the Malibu at a tournament. I am happy to ski behind one. They do not make very many but they build a good boat.

I have not skied behind a new new 200 since it was re-launched after the Ski Nautique. My guess is that a 6.0 200 is still a very good boat. Good wakes at most speeds. The wakes are likely a little unfriendly below 34 mph and longer than 28 +/- off. This is a very hard boat to criticize.

The Ski Nautique is a boat you either love or hate. Nautique has paid to be the official boat of most elite international events so this is the boat of elite skiing. The wakes are preposterously bad at 28 off and longer at any speed. This boat has the best trick wakes ever – good trick wakes mean bad slalom wakes at slower speeds. This boat has a different pull than the other boats. If you are used to this pull it is great but if you do not practice behind it you may find it unfriendly. This boat also has more widgets and gizmos than the other boats. That is more crap to go wrong.

The ProStar has the best wakes hands down - no question about it. MasterCraft is currently selling more ProStars than all the Malibus and Nautiques combined. The pull of the ProStar is closer to the pull of the 6.0 200 or older boats like a 196. I consider the pull of the ProStar to be friendlier than the other boats. Skiers who train behind the Ski Nautique sometimes complain about the pull of the ProStar because it is different.

Full disclosure – I have a factory ProStar. I do business with MasterCraft. I try to be unbiased.

Goode HO Syndicate   KD Skis ★ MasterCraft ★ PerfSki  

Radar ★ Reflex ★ S Lines ★ Stokes

Drop a dime in the can

• Baller

I 100% disagree with the "preposterously bad" at -28 and longer comment above. Our stable of junior skiers split preference about equally between the new Ski and the MC at longer and slower speeds and universally shun the Malibu. I'd personally give the nod to the MC at -22/34 mph but that's about it. My SN has a bit of a bump at -22/34 but it's certainly not terrible and the wake is fantastic at almost all other speeds and line lengths. And it drives and tracks better in all events than the other boats by a country mile, at least IMO.

• Baller

As the worlds greatest 15off skier and connoisseur of wakes from 30mph to 34/22 the “preposterously bad” statement is well… preposterously bad.

I’ve owned 7 SN and just bought a MC. Overall the MC is a better boat, no question.

I still prefer the SN wake - re: the foamy wake is smaller, softer and easier to edge through than the crisp edges and wider table of the MC.

• Like 1

• Baller

I know I personally don't ski well behind the 2017+ malibu. On multiple occasions I have skied it and wanted to love it and I just don't end up going down that road.

I ski 28mph up to 34 mph with my best passes getting me through 15 off at 34 and trying 22 off at 34 mph. I find that a lot of the guys on this forum who say all the boats are equally as awesome do not deal with these varying wakes at longer lines and slower speeds. They only deal with shortline conditions, so things are very different in their world.

Still, to get back to the heart of your issue, yes, the Prostar is the way to go right now in my opinion. Best of luck in attempting to get your club to go that way.

• Baller

The boats behind which I ski are: 2022 Ski Nautique 6.2, the Nautique 200 6.2, Nautique 200 6.0 and my old 196 5.7. While I certainly agree the pull from each boat is specific to that boat, @ 34 mph and 28 off opener, to me, all these boats provide an almost non-existent wake. No matter which boat I am skiing, the wake is not even a consideration. When I skied behind the new Prostar, same thing; 34 mph @28 off opener, not thought to the wake and the pull felt great.

• Baller

@Nashotah have not skied any boat at 22 off in a long time so I cannot comment on the wakes at that length at any speed. With respect to a 5.3 in a Ski Nautique, there is not much of a market with that engine for skiers who train for tournaments. Heck, I think I would keep your 6.0 200 over a 5.3 Ski Nautique. Do not see what you gain other than more complexity that can go wrong. OK, better tracking with the Ski Nautique. My opinion is your 6.0 200 is a more desirable boat than a 5.3 Ski Nautique (and it looks better). Just my opinion.

• Baller_

@Nashotah, I'm at about the same level as you. Keep your 200. I haven't skied a Ski Nautique with the 5.3, but have skied a 200 with the 5.3 and found it to have an unforgiving calibration that was quite harsh. I think the 6.0 is better.

Regarding the original question in this thread, I think the MasterCraft Prostar slalom wake is the best. I am neutral about the Malibu TXi slalom wake and pull - nothing bad, but nothing special and I have mediocre performances with it. The 200 is a reasonable slalom wake - not as good at 22 off as the Prostar and the 6.0 pull is fine. The Ski Nautique is my least favorite slalom wake of current models (it's still better than the MC 197), but the 6.2 calibration and pull is excellent. I do find the Prostar calibration (6.0) and pull a bit soft and I have to select the plus setting (C2+) to get it close to what I like.

I will also say that I liked the 2016 TXi better than the 2017-present model - for both driving and slalom skiing.

If I recall correctly, my 34 mph PB is with the Prostar and my 36 mph PB is with the 6.2 Ski Nautique, although it's possible that both were with the Ski Nautique.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller

I've drawn a Malibu more than a few times at tournaments and at 34mph 22-35' off I have no problem with the wakes..... it's a nice pull. I am told the crossings for people starting longer and especially slower is rather scary, 'preposterously bad' some might say. Both Nautiques have a slight bump at 22' but it's very manageable and far from outrageously terrible. The ProStar is my favorite but it doesn't win in a landslide but just by a 'pickle-fork nose'. Ballers love to nit-pick.....but should happy to ski any of these boats at a tournament, I am.

• Baller

We have to remember, a lot of skiers that are at slower speeds and longer lines do not pull through both wakes because of lack of technique can make any wake feel bad. On another note I was sitting in a boat watching a 32 mph skier that runs 39 ski a boat he had not skied before and wanted just for fun to start at 22. After running down the line he made a comment about the wakes at the longer lines. What I saw was at the longer lines this guy is such a good skier he was actually backing off his pull and starting to change edge at the wake which was causing him to hit the wake hard.

• Baller_

@Nashotah @markn My summer ski partner (of 21 years) is a Nautique dealer, so we may have two or three different boats in a summer as boats come in on trade and are sold. One of his customers buys a new 5.3 liter boat every year, so we start out every summer with a 5.3. As a -28 to -38 skier, I barely notice any difference whatsoever between a 5.3 and a 6.0. I ski the same ZO setting behind both (and the 6.2). They are all good motors. The 5.3 is particularly good if you have a short setup at your site.

All that said, if you are buying a new boat and you don’t have a short setup, the base 6.0 motor is just fine, so I wouldn’t opt for the upgraded 5.3.

Lpskier

• Administrators

I would certainly ski the 5.3 before I bought one. I skied one a couple years ago and found the pull to be quite different than what I expected. When in doubt get the 6.0

Goode HO Syndicate   KD Skis ★ MasterCraft ★ PerfSki  

Radar ★ Reflex ★ S Lines ★ Stokes

Drop a dime in the can

• Baller

The 5.3 when it first came out on a 200 felt very weird and hard to ski behind. Now one of my ski partners has a SN with that engine and it feels the same to me as a SN with a  6.2. Unless your a deep short line skier, I don't think it would matter. But I'm only a 32offer. 

• Baller
6 hours ago, DMR said:

here is a video on the topic 

Looks exactly like the trim plate used on Supra boats back in the 80s and early 90s. Only difference is the plate is mounted on a bracket instead of being screwed into the trailing edge of the hull bottom and the turnbuckles mounted directly to the transom.

• Baller
On 1/2/2023 at 5:03 AM, DMR said:

and if you scroll down on this thread someone downunder is also very unhappy with his 2022 TXi Response ski wake https://www.themalibucrew.com/index.php?/forums/topic/51966-help-with-scarpa-plate-pictures/

I think it's pretty clear he's talking about the barefoot wake given he specifically cites propwash.  That entire thread was about SSP and barefoot wakes.

But in any event, I've never ever heard anyone suggest running SSP to help the ski (presumably SLALOM) wake.  What would make a more desirable barefoot wake through use of the SSP, is directly contrary to an "improved" slalom wake.  

• Baller

I think your TXi is fine... especially if you're skiing above 52k. Just go ski. While learning the course I admittedly didn't love the 18m/43-49K wake as it just belt big, but it's still doable. And now skiing faster, even spending most my time at 16m, it's fine... not worth thinking about. I wouldn't start adding barefoot plates to a new slalom boat. 

Edited by Mastercrafter