Long Overdue Ski Upgrade

mustanghusker

I am looking to upgrade, or at least update my ski. I have grown up skiing an early '90s Kidder Ex Redline Graphite and love it. I don't run a course too often but ski ever run as though I were. I was gifted an O'Brien World Team a few years back but it feels soft and unresponsive compared to the Kidder so I still prefer the Kidder 95% of the time. That being said, I keep browsing ski-it-again for an upgrade but just don't know the new skis and ranges. I have looked at the Radar lineup (Senate is frequently mentioned), but am open to ideas. I am 5'11, 195lbs or so, and it seems like 67-69 inches is the right length. I like to ski about 32 mph, but again, it is not on a course, typically just after work on a calm night. I don't want to buy something that feels like the O'Brien that I won't use, but don't need to buy a course setup either.

• Baller

At your weight and speed I’d be looking at a 68. So many great options on SIA. Radar, HO, D3, Connelly. This time of year some great deals as well . Folks here will be happy to weigh in on any you are interested in. Radar Senate is wildly popular for your application but again lots of options. Shopping is always fun .

• Baller_

The Redline is one of the top skis of the era, the EX, not so much.At any rate, pretty much any of the modern skis will be leaps and bounds above the old Kidder's and World Team skis.

Any Radar suitable for your size would be great. Senate should be at the top of your list. D3 also has excellent skis - any 68" will be good.

Seriously, you can throw a dart on SIA for a Radar or D3 and you will be amazed at how much better is than the old Kidder or Obrien.

If it was easy, they would call it Wakeboarding

• Baller

Anything from the lists above would be a huge upgrade for you. Where do you live? Who do you ski with? I bet there are some ways that you could demo some options and see what skis speak to you.If that is not an option and you buy a Senate - get a Lithium or Pro Build.

• Administrators

@mustanghusker when you pick a new ski it is going to be way better but crazy different from what you were skiing on.

Even for open water skiing you will need to make sure your fin and bindings are at the right setting. Back in the day fins did not move and bindings we usually set to "middle hole". It is not rocket science but when you get your new ski let us know and we will help you get your ski set up as well as possible.

Goode HO Syndicate   KD Skis ★ MasterCraft ★ PerfSki  

Radar ★ Reflex ★ S Lines ★ Stokes

Drop a dime in the can

• Baller

I was thinking very much along the same lines as @Horton just said. Skis are very adjustable now, and settings matter a lot. I’d love to give advice, but ultimately you are going to make your decision based on criteria known only to you. I was thinking that I would NOT BUY certain skis under your circumstances, but I want to avoid “bashing” any ski or brand.The reasons being, some skis don’t ski well when not set up FOR YOU. Typically, I have found the Radars, Connelly’s, and D3’s are very comfortable, out of the box at standard settings. The last couple HO’s I tried I did a good bit of adjusting on before I liked what they were doing. Other people may feel the exact opposite, so I am DEFINITELY NOT bashing HO, it’s just me. And to round out the major ski brands today, Goode brand skiers often have adjusted their skis exactly how they like them.That said, a ski not riding well for someone not used to adjustable fins will not be a ski you enjoy riding. No matter what you decide on, I’d ask the seller to set it to factory recommended settings before sending it to you. Just about everyone on this forum will be happy to help you from there

• Baller

I was thinking exactly what @Bufootin said, the D3 Arc, if you can find a 68, would be perfect. That’s one of my favorite skis they’ve put out. I’m on a D3 NRG R2 right now and love it too. I just don’t know if you’re looking to drop that kind of money on one, as it’s a current offering. The Arc is a few years old and can be found cheaper. One thing you’re going to have to do is get bindings that the plates fit current skis, and boots are another thing that has changed tremendously since the Redline skis. At least in the beginning, you’ll probably want to stick with rubber bindings, as it’s what you’re used to. The D3 leverage boots are that “old style” rubber boot.

• Baller_

Most manufacturers demo by mail so that is an option. Any ski school in the area probably has some equipment you could try, a quick google search indicated DFW waterski does. I am a true believer in demoing ski's before buying. Ski-it-again is a great option to buy something at a fraction of new cost on a flyer and if you don't like it, can resell it.