Power To Boat

TerryT

Went to winterize my 2014 mastercraft X2 (I know wrong boat for this forum) I am not getting power to the start the boat. Nothing will work, screen does not turn on nothing happens when I hit the start button. I can turn lights on and I hear the fuel pump. Check all the simple things like fuses, boat in neutral, kill switch. Any thoughts of where I have a break in the power.

• Baller_

Could be a relay. Check your relay box. If you find your relay for the starter and there is another relay the same size in the box, swap them and then see if it will start. If it does, replace the original relay and Bob’s your uncle.

Lpskier

• Baller_

At least drain the water from the engine and hoses, including exhaust manifolds. Getting the antifreeze in is probably less important than getting the water out.

You may be able to pour some of the antifreeze in through the detached hoses after you drain them. Not sure if an external electric pump (with a hose input and hose output) can pull it through the engine water circulation system or not, but there may be something you can rig up.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller

Assuming you have an Ilmor 5.7 in there, drain the block and pull the hoses off the bottom of the exhaust manifolds to drain them. Pull the J hose connecting the raw water pump to circulating pump. Make sure your trans cooler is drained by removing one of the 1.25" hoses and allowing the cooler to drain.

Reinstall all hoses and drain plugs so the engine is water-tight. Now remove both of the smaller hoses on top of the exhaust manifolds. Pour antifreeze into one until it comes out the other. If I recall it takes about 3-4 gallons. This fills the engine from behind the thermostat, and manifolds. Reinstall the hoses and you're set.

This is how the Ilmor manual calls for winterization. If you have something other than 5.7, I suspect the procedure is close. FWIW, simply suckig antifreeze through the lake water pickup is a pretty lousy way to winterize, since most of it goes right out the exhaust before entering the engine and pushing the water out... on any engine.