Is it safe to use rubbing alcohol or Goo Gone on a modern slalom ski?

Nautique99

• Baller

I bought a Vapor Pro Build from someone but it has a decal (almost like a bumper sticker) that I want to remove. Also I want to take off some permanent marker from the side of the ski. I think Goo Gone and / or rubbing alcohol would do the trick, but I'm not trying to ruin the finish on the ski. I just want to restore it to a "stock" look.

• Administrators

Depends on the year of the ski. The top and bottom materials have changed in the last few years. For the top of the ski I would test under the fin block or under the bindings.

Goode HO Syndicate   KD Skis ★ MasterCraft ★ PerfSki  

Radar ★ Reflex ★ S Lines ★ Stokes

Drop a dime in the can

• Baller

I had some staining on the bottom of my 2021 Vapor. Brooks specifically said Isopropyl Alcohol, although it did not fix my issue, it was harmless for the ski.

On scratches on gloss finishes, I've had great success with automotive compounds and polishes to bring back factory new shine.

• Baller

Please don’t use rubbing alcohol, it will stain the surface. For the adhesive, use adhesive remover or white spirit. Car scratch remover, or finishing compound will also remove the adhesive residues and the marker, but be gentle if you don’t want an extra shining finish on the specific spot.

• Baller

Yes if decal intact...heat it with a hair dryer til hot, then gently peel up a corner, keep it kind of toasty with the dryer and slowly peel the decal away. If any residual adhesive then use goo gone. Don't just goo gone a full sticker--heat and peel first.

For marker on the side? I dunno that may be a permanent issue not sure.

• Baller_

Ditto on the hair dryer to get the decal off. The most aggressive solvents won't penetrate most decals in reasonable time, so you have to get the top layer off before using solvents. Once you get a corner started, keep applying heat as you remove the decal . . the heat on your fingers will be a gauge that will keep you from over-heating the ski surface.

Main point, different decal adhesives require different solvents. Alcohol won't touch some adhesives. TEST whatever you consider using. I end up using Lacquer thinner on all types of products that tolerate it because its the most aggressive on adhesives. Most OEM finishes on tools or sheetmetal housings on electronic equipment will tolerate lacquer thinner, but most modern skis will be damaged with lacquer thinner.