old bird still likes to ski...buying advice

Goosey

Hi allI'm 47 years old and, although a decent skier, I don't ski so frequently anymore so thought i'd get a new ski which is easier to get out of water and reduce drag, but still allow me to (try) and make a nice big spray once I'm up :)

I've got an old second-hand Obrien Competitor X (just like the one I used to rip when I was younger...it's super sensitive and fun but not the easiest on a deep water start) and an old HO World cup series. The HO is 170cm long, and I realised with it being bigger than the Obrien it's easier to get out of water, but the binding is super old and poor so I'd like to treat myself to a new ski.

I was looking at the O'brien World team slalom - but found a thread on here which said this isn't great and the HO omni is better.https://www.watersportswarehouse.co.za/product/obrien-world-team-slalom-ski/

What do you think of the HO Omni for me?

If you recommend, could you advise on the size that I would need for my needs? As I said, bigger helps with getting out the water but I don't want it oversized. I ski medium fast.

My height: 175cmWeight 74kgFoot size UK 7

At 67 inches, and given the thread I read on here before, I'm thinking this would be the one to go for:https://wakeboards.co.za/product/ho-omni-slalom-waterski/(this is same size as the HO I'm using now)

However, I also see this version in women's which is a 64 inch. Now while this is smaller, does the design of the ski in any case make it easier to get out of water, or should I just go with the 67?

https://watersportsmania.co.za/products/ho-womens-omni-slalom-waterski?variant=39783773634654&currency=ZAR&utm_medium=product_sync&utm_source=google&utm_content=sag_organic&utm_campaign=sag_organic&gclid=Cj0KCQiAgribBhDkARIsAASA5bu-tFwMbaaB-nFwhaytNn7CNjJdD6UrEsl_q5RGOFigT8gWdzFOWXEaAii_EALw_wcB

Your help would be appreciated. There are so few stores where anyone actually knows anything about skiing!

ThanksGoosey

• Baller

Omni is a great ski for your needs and would be a fine choice. Radar Senate would be another excellent option. Length is important as you do not want a ski that is too short. Based on your weight 74kg/163 lbs you should be considering a 66 or 67. If skiing slower speeds say under 32 mph - definitely go 67 , and also since you sound like you are a recreational skier and not going to be attacking a slalom course. Welcome to the forum!

• Baller

Hi @Goosey

I second that , the Omni is a great option. I'm also in SA. Chat to the guys at WaterSportsMania, they still love all things slalom and stock all brands.