How much is just in case, and how much is selling it?

Keith_Menard

• Baller

Was watching the highlights from the last tournament and they showed Whitney inside of 2, but S turning really hard for it, shortly after Dane said straight up he didn't get outside for his ball.

At these lengths, how much of it is honestly thinking you did or may have gotten outside and how much is selling it, knowing you didn't?

• Baller

You know, I think that sometimes at those really short lines a skier may be unsure as to whether they were outside, or where the ski was, binding wise at the buoy. Then again, if you know that you're inside and "try to sell it", it's your integrity and if you can live with yourself.

• Administrators

I hate that anyone would try to "sell it" but it happens. On the other hand, at 38 and 39 I have had times when I was not sure if I got around that last ball or not. This is especially true with the newer VERY soft balls.

Goode ★ KD Skis ★ MasterCraft ★ PerfSki ★ Radar ★ Reflex ★ S Lines ★ Stokes

Drop a dime in the can

• Baller

Walley Buoys make knowing more difficult. I have hit a buoy in a tournament, but not enough to lose direction or balance. So, I kept skiing. I ran that pass. At the end of the lake, the boat driver asked me what I thought about that buoy. I honestly said, "I felt it but I don't know how narrow/late it was, so I kept skiing." The judges decided it was a good pass.

There is totally a difference between selling a known inadequate performance and just skiing knowing that the performance may or may not have been enough. After all, it is the judge's responsibility to make that determination as they have a 3rd person vantage point.

• Baller

This year at Regionals my daughter thought she was inside 4 ball, kept skiing around 5 ball just for the heck of it and because she had momentum, but then stood up at 5 and skied back to the wakes because she thought she was done. The judges scored her 5. I was pretty conflicted on what advice to give her but settled on "if it's close and you are not 100 percent sure, keep skiing. It's the judges' job to judge." She is still a relatively inexperienced tournament skier so I'm more worried about her just not knowing exactly what happened than her trying to game the situation.

• Baller

But somewhat on this topic, I had an interesting moral dilemma a year or so ago in a Class C. At 12m, I wasn't sure if I made it outside 6. I swung the ski and didn't feel an impact, but that could be because I went completely inside OR completely outside the ball.

2 judges gave me 6. But the boat judge called it 5. I know this judge well, and if she is calling 5 then it's because she had a clear view and it was 5.

So: While I was skiing, I didn't know, but NOW I do. Should I voluntarily end my round rather than attempt 11.25? I still don't know for sure what I think is "right" in this situation.

• Baller

@Than_Bogan - I say keep skiing until majority calls less than 6. In a C you're not stealing from anyone if you keep going. At some point, you and the boat judge are going to be sure you went around 6, but both towers will call 5 for some reason and you'll have to live with that.

Like Jcamp said, is the judge's job to judge, and skier's job to ski.

I was boat judge at a recent tournament and someone missed 4 ball but made the rest of the course. I called 3, she knew it was 3, but both towers called 6. She timidly asked if her round was over and our reply was "It's your lucky day, both towers called 6, majority wins, have fun."

I don't think it's much of a moral issue at this point.

• Baller_

@Mastercrafter, I believe I was the boat driver for that particular instance. And, if I recall correctly, the skier in question was a first time tournament participant. She had already skied a previous round with a similar or better score than she eventually achieved in that round. So, no harm, no foul.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller

I had a similar situation at a C tournament year before last. I pulled late and ended up inside of 6 ball @ 35. When I sat down I said "Wrong time to pull up short on 6". The boat judge said both towers called 6 so it was a good pass. I replied "No. I know I missed 6." We went back and forth for a second and he replied "Well its going down as 6 you might as well cut to 38". I did and when I got around 3 ball I realized he forgot to cut the rope to 38, so I just gave them a smile and a wave and pulled over to the bank and took a 6 no continuation. Tough sometimes but thats what the judges are there for.