Adjustable Fin Block for Connelly Outlaw and Aspect

ricar116

• Baller

For my winter project I am in the process of making myself some adjustable fin blocks for my Outlaw and Aspect. I will be making some fins as well. A version of the existing fixed fin and a hybrid of the vapor 2.0 fin with the added length of the fixed fin. I already have two versions of the fins modeled in solid works. Getting ready to start the fin block. I just want to add or subtract length and depth and dft from original fixed position.

Does anyone have any interest in some blocks and fins if I get to the metal cutting stage? I love my Outlaw I am a sub 32 mph 58 yr old long line/open water skier. I have an Aspect, but like the easy ups and performance of the Outlaw.

This is not intended to be a business venture, but only a slow ski performance fun project. I am in manufacturing so I have some access to equipment and people.

• Baller

Just check your cost! I played with this a few years back when I was living in my shop with my machine tools and what I found was that you could just buy fin blocks for about what materials cost. Of course I was using third parties to deliver material rough sawn to the sizes I wanted because I didn't have a good way to accurately cut material to size so it was cheaper to have places cold saw the material than for me to make thousands of passes to dimension the material. But still ~50 bucks can get you a fin block.

I had a FM Delrin fin block that actually worked OK so long as you texturized the fin a bit. Might be a good route, had inserts for the screws.

• Administrators

@ricar116 Just to be clear.... you are doing this to enjoy the project correct? If so please feel free to document the project here. If not I am sure I can hook you up with a Connelly block.

So if this is a fun project ( because you can ) I think the question is what makes one fin block better than another? What are the flaws in some blocks? This is a subject worth thinking about.

Goode HO Syndicate   KD Skis ★ MasterCraft ★ PerfSki  

Radar ★ Reflex ★ S Lines ★ Stokes

Drop a dime in the can

• Baller

Yes, Horton just for fun. Connelly has the unique hole pattern on the fixed fins. For ease of machining I want to model the Goode fin block with the Connelly dimensions. I have a viper 2.0 block and fin. Lucky told me I need a little deeper fin on my Outlaw and there you have it.