Don't forget to tune into Swiss Pro Tricks this Sunday

https://www.swissprotricks.com/

Horton Horton

S-Line USA Handles are awesome

o2bnMaine

• Baller

Scott sent me a handle this week. It replaces my well-worn Radar 13".

He makes a great product. I am very happy. The bar was from a test batch. If that's what the production handle will feel like, sign me up! It was very sticky. I never felt like my hand would slip or rotate. I always felt in control even if I didn't get my hand back to the handle as I would like.

Durability can't be covered for a few months. ;-) But quality is a 10 of 10.

Sorry for the bad quality photo. I snapped it just before dropping the boat in the water. But you can see all the important bits. The braid where the two lines join is super strong looking. The rubber protectors near the bar are a nice touch and should help with longevity. As you are can see, the old handle was at end of life!

i5by2vcz4z7v.png6pu9z04l3a5t.png

• Baller

@Mastercrafter

After his second set, I let him know he could borrow a handle as I wouldn’t pull him on that handle!! I didn’t have any hold harmless agreements for him to sign at the dock. It was gnarly in person.

• Like 1

• Baller

@scoke I only had to use the old handle one more time after skiing with you. I will say I did cross my fingers before stepping off the platform!

I still find it odd that only the red side was worn out. Neither my wife nor I pay attention to the color when grabbing the handle when starting.

• Baller

@o2bnMaine Happy to hear you are liking the handle!

@CasualDrewski We will have final pricing with the official release but price will be right around the same as InTow

@vtmecheng Yes, we will have a protector.

@brody The first run will be straight but the second will have a radius

@VONMAN We would like to make that style and are currently looking into it.

Keep an eye on our website in the next month or so.

• Baller

@VONMAN We are working on adding spectra to our rope line. Once we have it available it will be an option. We are also testing handles strung up with Poly-E to see how those work and hold up over time.

@skierjp we will add them to our website for purchase after we have the first batch completed. Looking at mid-December.

• Baller

I have tried using different rubber coatings to replace the rubber on an old US Gear handle with moderate success. Coatings tend to wear off quickly. Am presently experimenting with the idea of sectioning a US Gear handle, replacing the center section with a same size rubber hollow core handle piece, attaching the ends and retying the handle. Sections will held together with tube in a tube with the handle rope providing the strength as it does in this type of handle. It's a long winter ahead!

• Baller

@Sedge Have you ever considered a "Spectra-infused" handle? I have moderate experience with Spectra for both handles and fishing line, and I conjecture that even 5% Spectra fibers would noticeably increase durability (and decrease stretch, if that matters).

But this wouldn't increase material cost nearly as much as an all-Spectra handle.

• Baller

@PatM Although I have done no real world testing, my hypothesis would be that the behavior is sort of the opposite of that: That because the Spectra stretches so little, it will take almost all of the load. The poly would basically be filler to make the handle safer and more ergonomical. I conjecture that if too few Spectra fibers are used, they can actually break in usage, because they take nearly all of the load while the poly is just starting its stretch range and therefore providing very little resistance.

But Spectra fishing line can easily be purchased in 100 lb variety, and it's not unweildy. Just 10 strands of that would hold 1000 lbs. So I believe a very small amount of Spectra would be up to the task.

Perhaps @Sedge will find out if I am right and/or what I haven't thought of!

• Baller

Yes, spectra does not stretch nearly as much as poly. I have always used curved anti-rotational handles made from poly rope but two years ago got one make from spectra. I noticed that after a couple of weeks my 56 year old elbows started to ache more. I also feel that right off the buoy the spectra handle gets me moving faster to the wakes with less of a delay which I liked. I could not believe that just 5 feet of rope would make that much of a difference as my poly rope handle was from Brenda and she basically doubles the line so its already quite stiff. As an experiment I hung 90 lbs from the end of each handle and left them for 30 mins. The 2 month old spectra handle stretched 1/4" and the 2 year old poly rope handle stretched 5/8". I would expect a 2 month old poly handle to stretch even more. To help "soften" the spectra handle to make it more elbow friendly, I fid a 2" long piece of round bungee tie cord into the rope. This gives the spectra rope something to "collapse" against when coming tight which was way easier than figuring out how to ski with ZERO slack!

• Baller

@Than_Bogan We have played around with spectra and are trying a few combinations. Mixing compounds is always interesting because you are looking at 2 different characteristics in spectra vs poly-p. We have thought of braiding sprectra in to our poly-p rope gor the reason listed. This leads to 1 of 2 outcomes, 1) the lower stretch of the sprectra would take the majority of the load making the poly-p only good as a filler and would still breakdown. 2)The rope has more stretch from the poly-p majority and the spectra factor does not come into affect until a certain stretch amount losing the characteristics of an all spectra rope. This outcome might be ideal so long as the spectra added slows the breakdown of the poly-p enough.

The idea of mixing in the spectra to make it stiffer and last longer is a good thought and there is likely a specific formula to make it work, it will just depend on the cost and time of mixing versus 100% spectra rope. Also, poly-p does bring mass and weight that is not wanted. If looking at cost savings with longevity poly-p with the clear tubing and/or protector at the briddle. For little to no stretch and long life, spectra is currently the best option.

We will be offering spectra (hopefully very soon) and will continue to try new cobinations.

@buoyboy1 I was recently talking with another skier about handle line having some type of bungee or adjustable stretch option. Your idea is a good thought to alleviate some of the soreness caused by the stiffer spectra.

We are looking into the US Gear design as well figuring out the best option there. We know those who have them love them.

Keep the questions and ideas coming!

• Baller

I recall that back in the early 90s there were companies making poly with a few strands of Kevlar line inside the poly braids. I had a trick rope made of that stuff. The idea was that the Kevlar strand would add just a bit more rigidity to the rope.

• Baller

Handles are now available for order! 3-4 week lead time.......very excited to try Scott has put a lot of time and thought into these to make sure they are the best!

What colors are people getting??

https://slinesusa.com/products/12-competition-handle-straight?variant=43630361903352

Edited by MI3Eventer
typo
  • Like 4

• Baller
4 hours ago, MI3Eventer said:

Handles are now available for order! 3-4 week lead time.......very excited to try Scott has put a lot of time and thought into these to make sure they are the best!

What colors are people getting??

https://slinesusa.com/products/12-competition-handle-straight?variant=43630361903352

Blue on one side, with silver and blue fleck on the other to coordinate with my 2020 vapor and the light blue vest I just purchased. 🙂

• Baller
16 hours ago, Sedge said:

@ghutchI'll email you about the order. 

Yes, I plan to come back to Whitestone for a tournament this year! 

@SedgeWe look forward to having the "Rope Nerd" back on site, and Whitestone will be using S-Lines again this season.

Extra incentive for @ghutchand everyone else in June.  If a skier sets a state or better record at the Summer Starter they will earn themselves a brand new S-Line! 

Summer Starter 23.png

• Like 3