CP 6L PCM Mystery

Golfguy

• Baller

I have a 2016 Carbon Pro 6L PCM with a strange problem. If the skier does not drop and continues around the island, the engine shuts down when it encounters its own wake. It will start back right away by turning the ignition key. I have checked the main grounding wires and all are secure. Does this sound familiar to anyone? Thank you in advance for your help.

• Baller_

check your ecs circuit. emergency cut off circuit.many times that harness can be barely making contact in a connector.
had one in a Nautique a number of years ago that the harness was pulled so tight , any deflection of the gunnel interrupted the operation of the circuit.

• Baller

I had a some what similar issue on my 196. I could run one pass but on the 2nd the boat would die, but would then start up and seem fine.

I finally determined that I had debris in the small screen attached to the pick up tube in the fuel tank. What was happening was at idle or slow speed enough fuel was getting through the fuel line and the “fuel cell/pump/reservoir) would fill up and have enough fuel to pull one and 1/2 passes.

I thought it was the driver at 1st, then the speed control, which I eliminated by driving a simulated pass by hand driving, then suspected an electrical issue, and finally stumbled on the fuel issue. It is not likely your problem but a possibility.

• Baller

@Golfguy - of course I'll give the "safety squints" message. Don't bypass the switch and leave the switch there.

I've pulled the switches in my boats a few times over the years and was always glad they worked when I did it. Like when the driver sits down and their shorts snag the throttle lever and put the boat into gear (do you pull the knob out whenever you get out of the seat? I do)