2023 Radar Vapor ProBuild review

Horton

• Administrators

DSC 1596

In 2014 Radar introduced the Vapor. Every year since then Chris Rossi and his team of elite skiers have refined, iterated, and refined further in search of perfection. The 2023 Vapor is arguably the most sublime Vapor yet.

General Feel

The Radar Vapor provides an improbable combination of speed and grip. Traditionally ski designers are forced to trade grip for speed or the other way around. The Vapor is extremely fast and casts the skier far out in front of the ball. At the same time, the ski gives the skier a secure connection to the water and absolutely dependable turns.

Ball to wakes

From the ball to the wakes the Vapor generates as much or more speed and angle as any ski ever.  For optimal results, skiers should simply ride the line from side to side without adding load. If the skier increases their lean approaching the wakes the ski will pull further away from the boat creating additional speed and load. 

DSC 1600

Wakes to ball

Through the wakes, the Vapor requires relatively less physical strength than most skis. Reducing the typical amount of work needed at the centerline allows the skier to flow away from the wakes with additional control. This speed also creates additional time and space in front of the next ball. 

Approaching the ball, the Vapor’s roll stability is predictable and comfortable. The ski is also tolerant to various amounts of movement fore and aft. 

Turns

It is generally expected that a very fast ski will not provide a large margin of error at the ball but the Vapor does just that. When things get frantic the skier can drive forward and make the ski change direction on a dime but the ski will happily rotate with the skier's weight distribution more neutral.  The skier only needs to roll the ski to the inside and the ski will flow under the line. Turns on both sides are practically automatic and they finish with a sharp carving arc. 

Settings used for this review minimized tail slide and emphasized the ski’s carving nature. The ski builds additional angle as it moves towards the wakes so a faster / shaper rotation at the ball is unnecessary and perhaps counterproductive. 

DSC 1616

Quirks

Because this ski is so fast across the course and always gets wide, it would be easy for a skier to lose focus on their connection to the boat. A skier’s focus on connection after the second wake improves the turns & flow of the Vapor considerably.  The above review is based on how the ski performed when my primary focus was keeping the line tight as far past edge change as possible. The ski was not “bad” when I was less disciplined with the handle but it was noticeably better when I was more disciplined.  

32 off and longer

Some skis that are designed for very short lines are also good for mid & lower-range skiers and some are not. The attributes that make the Vapor so good when the rope is very short also make it a great choice for skiers who ski longer lines and slower speeds. Skiers at any skill range need more angle and speed without instability. That is the 2023 Radar Vapor in a nutshell.

DSC 1870a

Goode HO Syndicate   KD Skis ★ MasterCraft ★ PerfSki  

Radar ★ Reflex ★ S Lines ★ Stokes

Drop a dime in the can

• Baller

Nice, I could really feel what you mean by your description of the ski as it relates to your line tension out toward the ball. I've had some skis over the years that really shut down if not staying focused on keeping the line. Those one's always hurt me a bit because late line tension was always a fight for me.

• Baller

Nice, I could really feel what you mean by your description of the ski as it relates to your line tension out toward the ball. I've had some skis over the years that really shut down if not staying focused on keeping the line. Those one's always hurt me a bit because late line tension was always a fight for me.

• Administrators

@coach3 I am not exactly sure how to answer that. What I will say is that the Vapor did not bite me after a critical error. More than once I totally flubbed one or two ball and still got to 4 or 5 when I had no business getting that far.

Drop a dime in the can

• Administrators

@coach3 I am not exactly sure how to answer that. What I will say is that the Vapor did not bite me after a critical error. More than once I totally flubbed one or two ball and still got to 4 or 5 when I had no business getting that far.

Drop a dime in the can

• Administrators

@6balls In the case of the Vapor the need for rope tension is not about keeping water speed or width. I do not completely understand the physics but with a tight line you run a different line from the wakes to the ball & the ski rolls in at a different rate.

My time on the Vapor has made me think a lot about my connection. Previously I would not have thought about it unless I needed more width. Looking back I now think connection is one of the major holes in my technique.

Drop a dime in the can

• Administrators

@6balls In the case of the Vapor the need for rope tension is not about keeping water speed or width. I do not completely understand the physics but with a tight line you run a different line from the wakes to the ball & the ski rolls in at a different rate.

My time on the Vapor has made me think a lot about my connection. Previously I would not have thought about it unless I needed more width. Looking back I now think connection is one of the major holes in my technique.

Drop a dime in the can

@Horton I’m more interested in your specs. Prescription? Brand? I’ve skied with prescription RecSpecs for years. I use a homemade strap made from a foam eyeglass retainer.

• Baller

I have been riding the 2022 Vapor all season! I have nothing but (Positive) things to say about it.

Heel-side and toe-side turns symmetrical. Stable through the Wakes!

I talked to Brooks about the 2023 layup which should be even better!

I would say buy this slayer of a ski!!!

• Baller

I have been riding the 2022 Vapor all season! I have nothing but (Positive) things to say about it.

Heel-side and toe-side turns symmetrical. Stable through the Wakes!

I talked to Brooks about the 2023 layup which should be even better!

I would say buy this slayer of a ski!!!

• Baller_

This echoes my experience with my '22 Vapor. Super fast and aggressive, in a way I'd expect to be a bit wild, but not so - whatever you do, the ski is just there for you. I tried one other high-end ski this summer and found it similarly fast, and a dream when I was skiing well, but if I wasn't locked in, it felt more unstable and like the ski was gonna take the line it damn well wanted to take whether I was ready/telling it to or not. But the Vapor responds no matter what you're doing. You want to fly, it's there. You get a little wild and need stability, it's there. If it could speak, it'd just say "It's all good man, I got you." :D*to qualify this review, I have 3-4 years in the course, skiing 32-34mph 15off-22off, so far from an expert opinion.

• Baller_

This echoes my experience with my '22 Vapor. Super fast and aggressive, in a way I'd expect to be a bit wild, but not so - whatever you do, the ski is just there for you. I tried one other high-end ski this summer and found it similarly fast, and a dream when I was skiing well, but if I wasn't locked in, it felt more unstable and like the ski was gonna take the line it damn well wanted to take whether I was ready/telling it to or not. But the Vapor responds no matter what you're doing. You want to fly, it's there. You get a little wild and need stability, it's there. If it could speak, it'd just say "It's all good man, I got you." :D*to qualify this review, I have 3-4 years in the course, skiing 32-34mph 15off-22off, so far from an expert opinion.

• Baller

Love my 2022 and was planning on waiting for the release of the 2024. It’s been the best ski for my performances ever and the only ski on which I’ve run 38 at a legit 34.2. Now I’m thinking I should try a 2023 next spring… I’ve been riding the even year Vapors starting with 18… but now I’m questioning - maybe the odd years are the more refined version?

I did try some crazy settings on the 22 and went into a mid September slump. Went back to stock long and shallow and I’m right back to the top of my average. Still skiing great in the frigid waters of NH.

• Baller

Love my 2022 and was planning on waiting for the release of the 2024. It’s been the best ski for my performances ever and the only ski on which I’ve run 38 at a legit 34.2. Now I’m thinking I should try a 2023 next spring… I’ve been riding the even year Vapors starting with 18… but now I’m questioning - maybe the odd years are the more refined version?

I did try some crazy settings on the 22 and went into a mid September slump. Went back to stock long and shallow and I’m right back to the top of my average. Still skiing great in the frigid waters of NH.