Skiing after shoulder replacement

drewski16

• Baller

Hey friends- I have to have a reverse shoulder replacement. According to surgeons, water skiing is not something you should do after this surgery. I'm wondering if any of you have had this done and were you still able to ski? I would be ok with open water skiing if that is all I can do.Any info is much appreciated.Thanks!

• Baller_

not sure what Dan White had who skis in milton but after his shoulder surgery Dan utilized a jump sling upside down for a few years. Dan has since rehabbed his shoulder enough to take pokes at 35 off. I know there was an article on him in a waterskier about 8 or 10 years ago..

• Baller_

not sure what Dan White had who skis in milton but after his shoulder surgery Dan utilized a jump sling upside down for a few years. Dan has since rehabbed his shoulder enough to take pokes at 35 off. I know there was an article on him in a waterskier about 8 or 10 years ago..

• Baller

Goode Power Vest will allow you to ski at your current level no problem. I used mine after rotator cuff surgery and continued to use it for my bad back. Wasn’t using it this year until I recently messed up tendons in my arm. Can barely lift anything with the bum arm , but can ski no problem. The straps on the gloves can be adjusted to get no pressure on your arms at max load.

• Baller

I'm 55yo and had a total replacement 5 years ago (traditional, not reverse).My surgeon owned a Wakesetter and was familiar with slalom skiing. His concern wasn't so much whether I'd be able to ski, but the potential for irreparable damage if to have one of those epic cartwheel crashes. Post-replacement, with any future injury (cuff, etc) there is very little that can be done. Doc told me his preference would be for me to focus on wake surfing...as the crashes are slow and soft, haha.
Herein lies the tough part of your future... You should certainly make use of the new shoulder (which hopefully brings you much pain relief). However, there will be a lot of "risk vs reward" decisions to make in whatever hobbies you may have. One variable is how disciplined you are at "taking it easy". That choice is yours alone. You can't live in a bubble...just need to find the balance that works for you.Feel free to PM me if any further detail needed, and Good Luck with the surgery.

• Baller

I'm 65, and just had rotator cuff massive tear and surgery this summer. Rehabbing hard, but, wow, progress is slow. Weak as a kitten. I hope to return to skiing after lifting all winter. It appears the muscle tone surrounding the injury is quite stabilizing. Hope the best, I'll let you know how the spring goes. I am just a mid 35 off skier and don't want to take hits anymore; smooth and rhythm or just let go.