Weight bags for boat

ScarletArrow

• Baller

I'm skiing now more often with a driver and no spotter so I need weight to balance the boat.

What can you recommend for weight bags (and weight) for distributing weight?

I've seen all kinds of solutions - dumbells, led weights with handles, tool bags filled with lead, etc.,

My favorite solution are 50lb compact bags with handles, but finding them seems elusive.

Any recommendations?

• Baller_

Lead-Wake went out of business, so this brand is about it.I have only had a driver, no observer 99% percent of the time so I have always had 100 pounds under the passenger seat or up against the left boat wall in front of the passenger seat. Done that on every boat I have had. Lead isn't used any more so these have steel shot. Even though they may say the shot is in a plastic bag inside the cloth bag, if you get them wet every day, they will turn into a solid mass eventually.

50 pound ballast bags are never cheap in part because of shipping.I would rather not buy from Woke Amazon, but delivery is included and reliable.95979d439n4f.jpghttps://www.amazon.com/BALLASTExtra-Lb-Weight-Wakesurf-Surfing-Warranty/dp/B01LI2HK9W/ref=sr_1_6?crid=13TQJ8RF1AL73&keywords=50+pound+ballast+boat&qid=1665880497&qu=eyJxc2MiOiIyLjA5IiwicXNhIjoiMC4wMCIsInFzcCI6IjAuMDAifQ%3D%3D&sprefix=50+pound+balast+boat%2Caps%2C176&sr=8-6&ufe=app_do%3Aamzn1.fos.18ed3cb5-28d5-4975-8bc7-93deae8f9840

• Baller

@ScarletArrow I use 150#s under the observer seat (or one twelve year old plus a 50# bag). or just put it on the floor in front of the seat. Counterweights the driver nicely on the 2011 SN200. I have the Leadwake bags. Unfortunate to hear they are out of business. They used to cram a 50 lb bag in one of those flat rate USPS Priority mail boxes. I ordered 5 one time... mailman must have hated me.

• Baller

@ScarletArrow I use 150#s under the observer seat (or one twelve year old plus a 50# bag). or just put it on the floor in front of the seat. Counterweights the driver nicely on the 2011 SN200. I have the Leadwake bags. Unfortunate to hear they are out of business. They used to cram a 50 lb bag in one of those flat rate USPS Priority mail boxes. I ordered 5 one time... mailman must have hated me.

• Baller_

I store my barefoot boom, the extension, and the pylon block in the observer side gunnel and it appears to be just about the right amount of weight to level my personal boat with no observer. At our club, we have two 50 pound lead weight bags that are moved around to balance, depending on whether there is an observer or not. We typically just have them on the floor near the pylon and seats to move easily.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller_

I store my barefoot boom, the extension, and the pylon block in the observer side gunnel and it appears to be just about the right amount of weight to level my personal boat with no observer. At our club, we have two 50 pound lead weight bags that are moved around to balance, depending on whether there is an observer or not. We typically just have them on the floor near the pylon and seats to move easily.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller

2012 200 6L

With boom in storage area I need 100 lbs and I just put it out on the floor on the passenger side and move it around depending on who is driving. I weight 180 and one of my drivers is probably 250 and have never needed more weight than the 100# to balance things out.

• Baller

2012 200 6L

With boom in storage area I need 100 lbs and I just put it out on the floor on the passenger side and move it around depending on who is driving. I weight 180 and one of my drivers is probably 250 and have never needed more weight than the 100# to balance things out.

• Baller

@ScarletArrow i have a 2012 200 CB. I have a 50 pound lead wake bag near the bow and use two 50s under the observer seat and a 35lb that we move near our feet depending on who is in the boat. The only time 150 total would really help is when I have no observer and my ski partner who is near 250 is driving solo, but the 135 seems to be enough. All are lead wake.

• Baller

@ScarletArrow i have a 2012 200 CB. I have a 50 pound lead wake bag near the bow and use two 50s under the observer seat and a 35lb that we move near our feet depending on who is in the boat. The only time 150 total would really help is when I have no observer and my ski partner who is near 250 is driving solo, but the 135 seems to be enough. All are lead wake.

• Baller

60 lb of sand is like 3 bucks at Home Depot. Wrap it up in a heavy trash bag then put it in a cheap duffel with handles. I use one of those in stationary location and lead weight for fine tuning. Balance is important with the OffCourse.

• Baller

60 lb of sand is like 3 bucks at Home Depot. Wrap it up in a heavy trash bag then put it in a cheap duffel with handles. I use one of those in stationary location and lead weight for fine tuning. Balance is important with the OffCourse.

• Baller

As an update to the OP, I purchased bags from leadwake.com and they were shipped to my house. 

I also found that Action Watersports (Orlando MC dealer) has them in stock.

I bought 3 bags since I have occasion when I’m driving for my wife solo at a lower speed and need the balance. 

The bags appear to be well made and have a nice strap for carrying. 

They are small enough in size and weight (#50) to move around and make adjustments. They are soft sided so they shouldn’t harm the interior of the boat. 

They cost ~$65/bag. 

I recommend them. They should be a BOS advertiser as I can’t imagine how many #50 bags one would need to affect the wake on a surf barge. Seems more practical for a ski boat.