Radar Union vs. Senate Alloy

mags88

Hi all,

Got into water skiing last season and by the end of the season I accomplished a deep start on a combo ski which was too small for me. Now I want to dive into getting my on single ski.

I am torn between the Union and the Senate alloy. I have been advised the Senate will be a great ski to continue my early days in skiing and will be great as I progress. I am concerned that jumping onto a Senate alloy at such an early stage might be wrong and the union would be the way to go.

What do you reckon for a beginner who's adapted quick.

Cheers.

• Baller

Welcome! I personally vote Union b/c you can ski it slower and learn technique. Will always be a good ski to keep for others to use. I have a Theory which was the predecessor and it skis really well. If you say the combo ski was too small for you, likely the senate will be too small unless you get a 69". It would help to know your weight and how fast you are skiing.

• Like 1

• Baller

I was using some radar 67" origin combo ski. I could single ski on it but I am around 210lb. So something with more surface area would be good. I was looking at the 69" Senate alloy specifically.

Thanks for the input people. I truly caught the bug and cant believe water skiing hasn't been in my life!

• Baller

Plus one for the Union.One friend did ski the Theory in the cours down to a full pass 34 mph 38 of. Maybe a bit beyond its intendent purpuse...So it is plenty of ski.

My 2 cents as an intermediant skier.One will progress faster in the beginig on a more forgiving ski.

• Baller

Appreciate everyones input. Seems to be 50/50 with the options. The Union isn't much bigger than the Senate and the speed range recommendation for both skis are 24-32 and 26-34.

I am leaning towards the 69 senate alloy at this stage. The only reason I would go the union route is if using the Senate would make progression harder. But they're both pretty big skis at 69" and based on the same shape.

Looking forward to anyone else's 2 cents.

• Baller

@mags88 what kind of boat are you skiing behind? Wider platform of the Union would probably be a bit more forgiving for a larger wake. Otherwise, Senate. Track down a Graphite (some good deals on ‘22 69’ vector packages around right now). Gives you the adjustable fin and a slightly stiffer layup. Def a bit more room to grow.

• Baller

@mags88 what kind of boat are you skiing behind? Wider platform of the Union would probably be a bit more forgiving for a larger wake. Otherwise, Senate. Track down a Graphite (some good deals on ‘22 69’ vector packages around right now). Gives you the adjustable fin and a slightly stiffer layup. Def a bit more room to grow.

• Baller

The Union is perfect for what you need. It is very forgiving and will give you more confidence in the turns when you become more aggressive. It is ideal to learn the course as you can ski really easy at slower speed. It is very absorbing in choppy waters as well.

• Baller

The Union is perfect for what you need. It is very forgiving and will give you more confidence in the turns when you become more aggressive. It is ideal to learn the course as you can ski really easy at slower speed. It is very absorbing in choppy waters as well.

• Baller

At 210 lbs, the 69 of either ski would be the right size. I’ve ridden the Senate through -28 at 34 mph and I own a Union I teach people on. I actually really love the Union. I free ski it sometimes on the river at -35 at 34 mph and it is really fun. It turns great and swings out very easily. I’ve still never ridden it in the slalom course though. For your level, if you want to get into trying the slalom course, you’re going to want to slow the boat down to 24.9 or 26.7 in order to make a few buoys, so I’d go with the Union. Even if you never try the slalom course, I still think that ski will be a great ski

• Baller

So.... I have the opportunity to purchase the 69" Union ski. And whilst I was set on getting the Senate I think I will start with the union and then progress onto a Senate or something similar.

My next question..... just stick the prime package or go with the vector boa?

• Baller

I have a union I bought a couple of seasons ago as my beginner slalom ski. Its a great ski and turns great. Tried out a senate this year and liked it a lot and will likely upgrade soon but I am glad I started with the Union. It was perfect to learn on and now feel more confident going into a higher end ski.

• Baller
On 12/5/2022 at 5:04 AM, mags88 said:

So.... I have the opportunity to purchase the 69" Union ski. And whilst I was set on getting the Senate I think I will start with the union and then progress onto a Senate or something similar.

My next question..... just stick the prime package or go with the vector boa?

So which one did you end up getting?