what is the one thing that separates you from the next 6 balls?

Horton

• Baller

If I'm limited to picking a "skill," then it's moving with the ski all the time. Like most "advanced amatuers," I spend far too much time toward the back of the ski or otherwise disconnected.

But if I get to pick more general terms, then it's much easier: Dedication. Even a decade ago when I was working hard on getting better, I always recognized there was an entirely different level of dedication possible, with nutrition, coaching, off-water training, and consistent, purposeful on-water training.

• Baller_

Currently water time and fitness. I've prob dropped 4 balls in the past year. Life seems to be getting in the way. I'd like to get them back and add 2 more for sure. Does not help that my dock is destroyed. Even If I could start the rebuild tomorrow it will be quite some time. :-/

• Baller

Inconsistency in LFF gate turn-in timing to get into a good stacked position over (like @Than_Bogan said - moving with) my feet to get that first good swing to one. That, and skiing in too squatty of a position instead of consistently being tall, long in the body, stacked.

• Baller

Getting older with a season ending injury has made me more deeply reflect. Posture, balance, and rhythm. Next year free ski to opening pass with the above until apex is much earlier, then shorten.With age I can no longer use muscle and have to use P, B, and R. Dry land practice as I recover is a foundation....I hope.

• Baller

getting the stack off side in particular, and then my offside turn is lagging (due to body position) also need to work on gate timing, the biggest hold back in the second part of the season has been conditioning, after I got covid my energy levels seem to be lower. doing 2 sets is a big task now and I hope to improve that next season. First full season skiing a course and at 34mph and I made it to 1 @32 off @34mph pretty stoked! looking forward to next season coming in with some experience as well as a bunch of off water training. going to get some pro coaching starting in the spring and that should help a ton.

• Baller_

16.85 seconds. As we age, I do think about when the crossover of age (deterioration) eclipses the improvements of technique, equipment, etc. happens. This is a sport with an older demographic or ability of the 'wisdom class' to participate.

• Baller

@Horton As I shorten the rope, I still try to run the same path as the longer rope lengths. I have a tendency to want more angle off the second wake to get me back in the pass than the handle path dictates. Separation and running parallel is common for me. Watching head or chest cam footage has really helped figure out where I need to be at -35 & -38

• Baller

@Horton That's terminology that (at least) Jamie Beauchesne and Adam Cord both use. It's another way to think ahout staying connected in the swing from second wake to buoy. If you try to ski toward the shore, you'll necessarily become separated because that isn't where the handle is going. If you move with the handle as it goes up course, then it's possible to maintain connection and use the boat to keep you moving.

For me, this is the difference between the super ugly 35s and the super easy ones. It also makes -38 "possible."

• Members

10-15 lbs. I’ve lost almost 6 buoys in the last few years as I have gone from high 170s to low 190s in weight. That is likely the cause of me being more on the back foot, plowing water instead of accelerating.

My top scores are only down 4 buoys, but my real average is down almost 6. I could also stand to be more connected off the second wake, but most of that is probably a function of not having the proper position and acceleration through the centerline.

I miss 35 a lot recently and I haven’t run 38 in two years. I need to get my strength to weight ratio back to where it was or better, as proper technique is hard when I am behind the pendulum and not getting any swing.

• Baller

Time on the water and professional coaching. (I picked two things...)

I gained 6 buoys on my average the year I was able to ski 10-12 sets a week. Now I am lucky to get 2-4 sets a week in.

I am also reaching the point where I need more help than I can provide myself. I was able to coach my self through 32 and mid 35, but deep 35 and 38 are proving difficult to master alone. I am eagerly awaiting the GiveGo website updates that allow coaching without an iOS device.

• Baller_

Anyone that said “age” can take that lame excuse off the table. If you watched just north of 60 year old Sam Ingram this weekend, you know why. And Mike Morgan, Mike Dehlinger ( @liquid d ), Terence Fogarty and Mike Reynolds. Those guys are M5 skiers and they all ripped it up this weekend.

Lpskier