Anyone hear what happened to Paul Oman, top Senior competitive barefooter - killed practicing

swbca

• Baller_

Paul is local to me in Minnesota. he was killed practicing for the World Masters Tournament in September but it didn't make the news until yesterday. None of the news information explained what happened. Maybe there is a safety lesson in knowing. Possibly a handle guard for example.https://www.fox9.com/news/record-breaking-barefoot-water-skier-died-in-brooklyn-center-accident

• Baller

He hit his head on the platform doing a flying start; didn't jump out far enough is what I understand from a barefooter (I pull) that was there. He must have been quite a talented man. Barefooters take some nasty falls.

• Baller

Minnesota news outlet....Bringmethenews.....

A world-record holding barefoot water skier died last month in an accident on a lake near his home in the Twin Cities.

The Hennepin County Medical Examiner said Paul S. Oman, 69, of Brooklyn Center, died Sept. 12 at a local hospital following the accident on Twin Lakes. Oman's cause of death is listed as "injuries sustained while barefoot water skiing."

According to his obituary, Oman died "doing what he loved most" — he began barefoot waterskiing in 1991 and collected 186 first place medals. At the time of his death, he held the world record for barefoot water jumping (7.8m) in the Men's 7 division.

"Paul shared his talents of barefooting with the Twin Cities River Rats Waterski Show Team for more than 25 years," his obituary states.

"He was training for the 2022 Masters World Barefoot Championship tournament in Texas just prior to his death."

Oman was a veteran of the U.S. Air Force and spent his professional career as an engineer developing medical devices.

I would like to clarify all of the posts listed above as many things are not accurate:

"SWBCA" eluded to safety lessons to be learned as the news referred to this as an accident, however; nothing other than the fall was accidental that day. It was a routine ski pass for Paul while he was training and completing his passes for the day. There was nothing accidental that happened in the way of boat failure, rope malfunction, or driving errors etc.

The cause of death stated by the medical examiner was the result of a fall while barefooting. I do not know where "coach3" received information about a flying dock start but that is not true.

Lastly "6balls" mentioned that he started barefooting in 2019 (which was a misprint in a local news outlet) He has been barefooting since the early 90's. On July 27, 2019 at the Midwest Regional Barefoot Championships, Paul Oman set a record in Men's 7 division with a jump of 7.8 meters.

It was an incredible day to honor Paul Oman and share his love to serve and his love for barefoot water skiing? All our days are numbered - Job 14:5. Tomorrow is not guaranteed and Paul truly lived everyday to its fullest. We had the blessing of knowing Paul for over 8,000 days of his incredible life! What a blessing and honor it was to call him a friend and to be coached by him! We are comforted knowing he gained his angel wings doing what he loved?Barefoot water skier Paul Oman remembered for his impact on and off the water.

Below are a few links that tell his story.

https://www.fox9.com/news/barefoot-water-skier-paul-oman-remembered-for-his-impact-on-and-off-the-water?fbclid=IwAR0qE8QcLYmHS38HDaQ6sI0LCXofzEj1fIb_EeIVYTHH1_dm1sJYM-6hyaI

https://www.startribune.com/paul-oman-world-champion-barefoot-water-skier-dies-at-69/600215985/

I would like to clarify all of the posts listed above as many things are not accurate:

"SWBCA" eluded to safety lessons to be learned as the news referred to this as an accident, however; nothing other than the fall was accidental that day. It was a routine ski pass for Paul while he was training and completing his passes for the day. There was nothing accidental that happened in the way of boat failure, rope malfunction, or driving errors etc.

The cause of death stated by the medical examiner was the result of a fall while barefooting. I do not know where "coach3" received information about a flying dock start but that is not true.

Lastly "6balls" mentioned that he started barefooting in 2019 (which was a misprint in a local news outlet) He has been barefooting since the early 90's. On July 27, 2019 at the Midwest Regional Barefoot Championships, Paul Oman set a record in Men's 7 division with a jump of 7.8 meters.

It was an incredible day to honor Paul Oman and share his love to serve and his love for barefoot water skiing? All our days are numbered - Job 14:5. Tomorrow is not guaranteed and Paul truly lived everyday to its fullest. We had the blessing of knowing Paul for over 8,000 days of his incredible life! What a blessing and honor it was to call him a friend and to be coached by him! We are comforted knowing he gained his angel wings doing what he loved?Barefoot water skier Paul Oman remembered for his impact on and off the water.

Below are a few links that tell his story.

https://www.fox9.com/news/barefoot-water-skier-paul-oman-remembered-for-his-impact-on-and-off-the-water?fbclid=IwAR0qE8QcLYmHS38HDaQ6sI0LCXofzEj1fIb_EeIVYTHH1_dm1sJYM-6hyaI

https://www.startribune.com/paul-oman-world-champion-barefoot-water-skier-dies-at-69/600215985/

• Baller_

@AJNORD1 Since you are making corrections in accuracy, you should be accurate. I didn't say there were "safety lessons to be learned". I said "Maybe there is a safety lesson in knowing" indicting we don't know what happened, not asserting their was some possible carelessness.

• Baller_

@AJNORD1 Since you are making corrections in accuracy, you should be accurate. I didn't say there were "safety lessons to be learned". I said "Maybe there is a safety lesson in knowing" indicting we don't know what happened, not asserting their was some possible carelessness.