99 Nautique Balance Issue

MDB1056

• Baller

Yikes, if he got 1-2 quarts of water from the fins (no foam there) I’ll bet the rest of the boat could be soaked, depending on how it’s constructed, sealed, etc.

Any water that enters the cavity between the hull and deck/bilge can get soaked up by foam and never come back out.

Often times on old boats, if you replace the bilge pump, when the screws are out and the holes are open, you can press on the floor of the bilge and water will squirt out of the holes.

• Baller

A 99 SN is approximately 2340 lbs. So if you were to weigh the boat and factor in the weight of the trailer plus fuel then you might be able to determine if you've got wet foam. Does she list to to port when sitting still in calm water?

• Baller

@morfoot - haven't done the calm water empty balance test yet. Been windy a lot lately. Proposed to put a level 2X4 across the boat just behind the engine and then set a 4' level centered on it. As an easy test that could be most telling, also considering there was a fair amount of water from fin removal.

• Baller

@morfoot - haven't done the calm water empty balance test yet. Been windy a lot lately. Proposed to put a level 2X4 across the boat just behind the engine and then set a 4' level centered on it. As an easy test that could be most telling, also considering there was a fair amount of water from fin removal.

• Baller

Resurrecting this thread from last year as the boat owner is looking for options.  It is the general conclusion that there is wet foam below deck that is causing the uneven weighting of the boat. While the boat has never been flooded as always garaged when not in the course, one of the earlier suggestions was to remove a fin and see if anything comes out which he did and got over a quart of water out. So water was somehow getting below deck . No visible leaks from circulation or exhaust hoses.  I DID learn though that one of the original speedos hasn't worked in a couple of years. I know on my older boat an out speedo can mean water is still coming up the line but can be going somewhere else if the line is off the back of the unit or at the manifold. On this boat the 2 speedo lines come up and connect to a manifold/junction just behind the observer seat, before going to the units in the dash. Owner says no water was ever seen on the floor which he expected would have have been the case, but where those lines connect behind the observers seat there's a compartment just below in the floor where anything could have been constantly draining into.  Anyway, speculation is high that if this broken speedo line was pushing water for 2 years into the bilge that this could be the culprit. Boat runs with bilge on auto. The boat has also been straight edged on all surfaces and has not shown any deformities, also narrowing the issue further towards wet foam. 

So the question is what are what are the options (if any) to resolve this other than removing the carpet, and flooring and removing the foam? Those of you that have done that know that is a big job, and not fun. Assuming that the cause has been fixed, does anything get worse if it's not removed? Is there any way to promote drying below deck on that boat? I'm not that familiar with the access panels on that boat but am sure many of you are.  Guidance here appreciated from those of you who have done the complete rehabs etc. and have seen it all  - as the owner would like to know options. Wonderful gentlemen, 82, still skiing strong. 

Thanks in advance to all................... 

Edited by MDB1056

• Baller_

Ooof!  Based on your description, a leak in the speedo tube is a plausible, if not likely culprit.  I see 3 options:

1. live with it and balance the boat with counterweights.  But be aware of the high likelyhood of mold building up in the foam. I don't see any realistic way to ever dry out the foam without pulling up the floorboards and removing the foam.

2. tear out the floor and remove the waterloged foam.  Yes, I've done this and its a bitch.  For an 82 yo gentleman, best to find a dealer, enthusastic kid or handyman to take it on.  If he doesn't, the next owner will have to.

3. Sell it and replace with another Nautique.  

• Thanks 1

If it was easy, they would call it Wakeboarding

• Baller

Wet foam not fun. Dug it all out of an 88 Prostar a few years back…. Neve finished the project as the boat wasn’t worth the fiberglass work needed. 

Not sure what this would do to the rest of the boat’s materials, but if  you could find a giant vacuum chamber used for pressure-treating lumber or something.. pull a vacuum and the water would simply boil out. Feasible and cost?  Dunno. But technically, it would work. 

• Baller

One would think a vacuum pump sealed at a low point using gravity to advantage might work over a longer time period. Even better, attach another vacuum pump hooked up to provide positive pressure on the other side to help push water towards the negative side. 

• Like 1

• Baller_

NO! NO!

if the hull is truly wet and foam saturated find a dry warm area where the boat can be stored for about 3 months. Drill about 4- 1//4" holes on the lower transom just above the trailing edge into the foam on both sides of the stringers. jack or lift or block up the bow of the boat very bow high so as to allow What??? water does what??

you guy's want to tear into the  floor!!!

come back and fill the holes with filler re gelcoat patch kit "Spectrum Color" polish and move on!!! Oh and get those hose's from the pittots removed and holes filled and polished... 

There are things called moisture meters for checking this type of stuff.

Edited by Jody_Seal
  • Like 2

• Baller_

These boats are not like wood stringer/floor/foam construction boats of the past. Foam will release water just as fast as it absorbed it but when wood is involved tear out is required.

100% composite tub/boat with foam water will drain out if given the opportunity and gravity. have dried out  number of nautiques 196, 206 as well as a couple v-drive wake boats. due to floods and even sunk on the trailer for 6 months..

• Like 2

• Baller_

Great suggestion by Jody, also consider putting a collection bucket so you kind of know how much water you get.

I keep my boat on a lift all summer, when I pull it I run it across a scale at the local landscape supplier just as a sense check (remember to do it when the trailer is either wet of dry so you don't get fooled (ideal is dry but when you want the info in the fall, wet sometimes has to do).

• Like 1