Need Suggestions on used ski purchase - 32 mph skier (Men's 7)

sagilbert

• Baller

I am an athletic 68 year-old, 157 lbs, 5'9", skiing on a 2022 Senate Pro (65"). I would guess that during the peak part of the season, I was making my 32/28 pass around 20% - 25% of the time. I'm trying to get that percentage to 75%, and I'm not sure that I can get there with this ski. As to the Senate Pro, it is very stable, turns nicely (both sides), and I can't ask for much more, other than more side-to-side speed. As to my technique, I have been told that I have improved over the last couple years, so maybe I can simply get there via more training. We're all looking for a quick-fix, right!

All that said, would any of you have a suggestion on a used ski that I might buy on SIA)---that has the positives of the Senate, but with a little more speed? I've found that this is a good time of year to buy merchandise on SIA, and I have often used the strategy of buying one in the fall, while keeping the old one - and then letting best ski win by early next summer - then selling the other one. Thanks for your feedback!

• Baller

@lpskier knows what he’s talking about, the guy is around your same age and still makes -35 @ 34 mph look like a walk in the park. You have a great ski and it would honestly be my suggestion if you weren’t already on it. If you have got to throw money down on a new ski (which I love to do, myself) any of the current D3 lineup are great skis. Maybe go up a size for your weight range as you’re skiing a little slower, but I’d try whatever their suggested size is for you before blindly sizing up. It’s always fun to try a new stick

• Baller

As to aupatking's comments, it is a great ski, and maybe I should be listening to lpskier. As to JJackkrash, the Vapor option is intriguing. It should have similar attributes to the Senate Pro, but should be faster from side-to-side---if I read JJackkrash correctly.

At this point, I would have to say that lpskier might be the winner. A 10/1000 change in depth and a1 degree change in wing is a bit cheaper than laying down $1,100 for a used Vapor. But, as aupatking says, "it's always fun to try a new stick"!

Based on my research, an HO Omega Max also gained my interest, but I couldn't really find any substantive opinions on the ski, other than the typical blather that the manufacturer provides. I really wish that Ball-of-Spray would provide a place on its forum for people to talk about their ride, while providing their age, weight, height, skill level, speed, and desires. We still might be confused, but at least we'd be getting feedback from "imperfect"s - like most of us.

• Baller

When I transitioned to 32mph, I added .0015 in fin depth to slow down my turn in contrast to lpskier. So it depends on your style, ski and level. I also reduced my wing, from 9 degrees to 8. I don't think any particular ski is better than another for 32mph, but if you were near the upper end of the recommend weight on your current ski, trying the next larger ski may pay dividends for you. I tried a larger ski, but I was on the light side at 34mph for my ski, and the next size up of the ski I was using did not work for me at my harder passes.

• Baller

@JackQ is definitely one to listen to. If you're unfamiliar with Jack, look up his scores. As for me, transitioning to 32 exposed one (of many) of my skiing flaws. The inability to get the ski to carry out after the edge change. That's just a basic handle control flaw, and I've never mastered that. Do that and the ski size will become less if an issue. I weigh around 160 and was skiing on a 66". Went to a 67" and it really didn't change much for me (reference above problem). Now, 10 years down the road from slowing to 32, either ski yields about the same results. Age has taken away some performance, but early on in 32 I was able to run 35 with some consistency. Now it's 32 with some consistancy.

• Baller

There's a lot of good advice here, but my response was specific to the question and its basically what Brooks Wilson told me in response to a very similar question about me buying a Vapor vs. Senate: The Senate is going to feel a little more planted/supported because it is just a touch wider and the Vapor is going to carry a little more cross course speed. Both are great skis and there are obviously other things you can do/tweak to ski better and change the ski's characteristics. For what its worth.

• Baller

I also have a ‘22 Senate Pro. I’m 6-2 and 220 on a 69 skiing 30-32 mph. After skiing on the factory recommended settings, the ski felt sluggish and pushed a lot of water out the front. I reset everything (bindings, fin, wing to 7 degrees) to the 2018 Senate Lithium settings I was on prior and the ski really came to life. Worth a shot.

• Baller

I also have a ‘22 Senate Pro. I’m 6-2 and 220 on a 69 skiing 30-32 mph. After skiing on the factory recommended settings, the ski felt sluggish and pushed a lot of water out the front. I reset everything (bindings, fin, wing to 7 degrees) to the 2018 Senate Lithium settings I was on prior and the ski really came to life. Worth a shot.

• Baller

@sagilbert Buy a new or used Denali C-85 medium, you will love it. It's very user friendly and tracks like it's on a rail. They come with the fin set up that's spot on to start with, set the front boot to stock setting and rip it up. You may latter play with the fin and wing setting but it won't be far from stock.

Ernie Schlager

• Baller

@sagilbert Buy a new or used Denali C-85 medium, you will love it. It's very user friendly and tracks like it's on a rail. They come with the fin set up that's spot on to start with, set the front boot to stock setting and rip it up. You may latter play with the fin and wing setting but it won't be far from stock.

Ernie Schlager

• Baller

@sagilbert I'm 5'8" and about 3-4 lbs lighter and love my 2019 Vapor Pro in 66 inch, at 32mph and 34mph.4th year M7 and still play at both speeds.Great advice above.But, why not, give the Vapor a ride. Might be fun getting your own feel for the difference between it and your Senate.

• Baller

@sagilbert I'm 5'8" and about 3-4 lbs lighter and love my 2019 Vapor Pro in 66 inch, at 32mph and 34mph.4th year M7 and still play at both speeds.Great advice above.But, why not, give the Vapor a ride. Might be fun getting your own feel for the difference between it and your Senate.