PCM 409 Low Fuel Pressure

DkLkSkr

• Baller

Have a 2017 Malibu with the PCM 409 6L engine. Got a low fuel pressure warning that only comes on when at full throttle. No loss of power when pulling skier up or maintaining 34 or 36 mph. Around 730 hours on the engine. Thoughts on why this is only happening at full throttle? Fuel pump issue, fuel filter, or fuel pressure regulator? Would this be hard to fix diy?

• Baller

In my experience, if you have an inline filter between the tank and FCC, that always get blocked up before the filter in the FCC. I'd start by changing that.

Have you put a pressure gauge on it to see what the fuel pressure is doing? There should be a Schrader valve on the fuel rail on the top of the engine to attach a manual fuel pressure gauge.

• Baller

@DkLkSkr

I would put my money on the filters on the bottom of the fuel pump assembly in the tank are clogged up and too restrictive.

We had that issue around 500hrs on our boat at TL. Someone used a siphon hose that was full of sand and severely contaminated the tank. I just cleaned tank, swapped filters and we now have over 3000hrs on it.

If you do some digging on the internet you can find replacement filters pretty cheap.

Other option is to replace the entire fuel pump assembly but that can get super pricey.

• Baller

@DkLkSkr

I would put my money on the filters on the bottom of the fuel pump assembly in the tank are clogged up and too restrictive.

We had that issue around 500hrs on our boat at TL. Someone used a siphon hose that was full of sand and severely contaminated the tank. I just cleaned tank, swapped filters and we now have over 3000hrs on it.

If you do some digging on the internet you can find replacement filters pretty cheap.

Other option is to replace the entire fuel pump assembly but that can get super pricey.

• Baller_

The FCC canister facilitates both the low pressure fuel pump as well as the high pressure fuel pump. seen in the past where gradew build up on the screen behind the inlet fitting of the low pressure pump, had to remove entire module from engine to inspect, remove inlet fitting and blow out lower portion of fuel low pressure pump. there is a o ring under the hose fitting so don't destroy it or loose.

• Baller_

The FCC canister facilitates both the low pressure fuel pump as well as the high pressure fuel pump. seen in the past where gradew build up on the screen behind the inlet fitting of the low pressure pump, had to remove entire module from engine to inspect, remove inlet fitting and blow out lower portion of fuel low pressure pump. there is a o ring under the hose fitting so don't destroy it or loose.

• Baller

@ResponseSkier @adamhcaldwell when you changed the sock filters on the bottom of the fuel pump, was there a third filter on the inside bottom of the pump? I changed the two on the bottom outside, but noticed another on the inside bottom.... Doesn't look like it does much of anything.