Discontinued??? Nautique Super Air GS20

utahslalom

• Baller

For the diehard slalom course skier as most of us here are then the GS or any crossover boat means nothing to any of us. For the guy who wants a multipurpose boat that the family can enjoy then I get it. Neighbor 2 doors down was wanting a SN 206/ or 196 as a family use boat but wanted a boat that had a great ski wake but also one that you could surf/board behind as his teenage kids said they wanted to surf. :s Told him that the 206 or 196 wouldn't be a good choice. He still wanted to slalom and eventually run the course but wanted a do all boat. Told him that it didn't exist. Only thing close was a 200 Sport but even then he wasn't gonna get the best wake for anything. For the sake of getting his kids more watersports involved he bought a 2013.Fast forward 2 years and each of his kids has surfed twice. I've made 15' off passes behind it but obviously would rather do it behind my 99SN. Its a beautiful boat and he likes it but he does regrets buying it instead of a 196. We tried warning him that his kids probably wouldn't take to it as he hoped but he bought it anyway.

I totally get the marketing avenue for a hybrid boat but you'll never convince course skiers to buy this boat as the only boat you'll ever need to do everything you want it too.

• Baller

IMO nobody really tries to make a true crossover boat anymore where the slalom wake is course friendly since the advent of wake surfing.

To me, the more interesting question is if someone tried is there enough of a market for such a boat to make it worthwhile? I do think its technically possible, but it would likely add cost to the boat because you'd have to keep the base weight of the boat pretty low to give the ability to have a wide range of boat weight with lots of ballast.

• Baller

The sad thing is I saw more skiers mid mornings behind wake/surf boats than slalom boats this year. (With terrible form I might add)None of them ever stopped by the course to have a look, watch or ask any questions. With them skiing 75' ropes on those barges they will never really progress from a novice level.

• Baller

@Jody_Seal these days, I agree. My dad has an '01 Sunsetter VLX V drive on the slalom hull that has a shockingly good slalom wake at 32 MPH and up, and it can be set up to surf fairly well... but nobody makes anything close to that anymore. Everything has 6' of freeboard and hundreds of pounds of unnecessary stuff inside.