PP stargazer loses GPS sometimes

hemlock

• Baller

Below is an email I sent to PP tech support, but just thought I would also share it here in case anyone has had similar problems.

Thanks!

Hello,

I have a Stargazer 8 system that I upgraded over the years to version 9.21 and have zbox.

On our lake we have 2 ski courses.

One runs West -- East, and the other runs NorthWest -- SouthEast.

Occasionally, just as the skier gets up, the GPS signal is lost and the boat runs away into the course at super speed!

The lost GPS signal seems to happen more often running the course into the West direction, and the NorthWest direction depending on which course I'm at.

The puck is installed flat in front of the dash, just behind the windshield and front speaker.

(2003 Malibu Sunsetter LXI)

Once we get to the end of the course and turn around, the signal locks in and works for the next pass going the other way.

Is there a better area to place the puck? Or any other options to try?

• Baller
I would also be interested in the response you get. SG w/ Zbox. Not sure which version. Seems to drop out in trick mode or slalom mode if we spin rather than drop. Most frequently it drops out as we cross back on our own wake to get back into our boat path. When tricking not a big deal, but in slalom its right where you need the speed to dial in as the skier is getting ready to pull out for gates. We run north south. 2003 Response LXI.

• Baller

Have either of you had your puck firmware updated when the rollover happened a while ago?

If not seach BOS for the thread as it has all the info you need.

I also mount the pucks on the side of the boat back of the driver's seat. I found if you have a steel tower it seems to mess up the anttenna on some boats.

• Baller

I have the original puck from stargazer version 8. (Pre 2016)

I will look for those threads, and perhaps trying moving my puck back somewhat. Not sure if a magnet(from speaker) would mess up the sensor.

• Baller
If you have a Garmin puck older than 2020 you have the older firmware and will have problems. It needs to be updated. Check my profile for a link to a thread about dual puck ZO with info. The same Garmin 18x-5Hz is used for both ZO and PP.

• Baller

Thanks @GaryJanzig.

Was your antenna an old one from the original 8.x version of stargazer?

Mine is.

I have a 2021 master module and zbox, but my puck is pre 2016 I think, so sounds like I need the upgrade too.

PP got back to me via email, but just follow up questions. Hopefully they'll suggest a solution to either send in my puck, or maybe I can just buy a new one at a discount or something.

• Baller_

From your description of cutting out in specific boat headings, its suggests there is signal shielding from boat components that have more impact when traveling in specific headings. When I bought a whole new PP Upgrade last year I recall the instructions suggested putting the puck on top of the fiberglass behind the windshield. If it isn't too difficult to get back inside your dashboard, perhaps you could try moving the puck to an on-top position where you can move it around to find the best location. That could probably be a temporary fix until you get some updates.

. . I put my puck under the ProStar 197 fiberglass located as far as possible from metallic items above at have no issues.