2014 SN 200 6.0L Tranny slipping

paul

• Baller

Looking for some advice.

Our new to us SN200 6.0L (365hrs) tranny started slipping last night. We have put 11 hrs on the boat - and changed the tranny oil at 360hrs (not sure when the previous change by the previous owner).

We went out with the first skier and pulled him two passes. Getting out of the water on the 3rd pass the boat surged but he got up. Then he fell and we tried to get him out of the water again and it slipped so bad that he couldn't make it up. Opened the engine cover and could smell it.

We checked fluid levels and they were fine. We changed the fluid with a Dexron which is a replacement for Dexron III - https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/motomaster-dexron-iii-mercon-automatic-transmission-fluid-0281502p.html.

Took it out again and could get it up to speed if we accelerated slowly. If we drove it like there was a skier it would slip.

My thought was to change the fluid again and see if that helps. Is the fluid above ok or should I be using a different fluid?

Any other suggestions? From my research, if this tranny is bad, the only option is to buy a new one??!!

• Baller
Is it a PCM 40i or 80i ? Generally speaking, once they slip the clutch plates are toast. And either need to be rebuilt or replaced. If it's a 40i, you should go ahead and replace it with the more robust 80i.

• Baller_

its an 80. not many people have rebuilt those. my self included. if you can pressure check it and make sure your linkage is intact.

14 was las year mechanical shift for the most part.

if you decide to get a new one better jump on it

as they build them in spurts there may be a number if weeks getting one.

• Baller

yes - 5hrs after a fluid change the problem started. Did it once the first time after the change then was fine for the rest of the day (4boat hrs). Next time out ran for 2 passes (likely till it got warm) and then started. Tranny fluid was quite dark from the previous owner but looks good now. And yes mechanical shift.

What's the process for a pressure check? Linkage was checked and is good.

• Baller

Eyepeeler for the win (i hope)! Happened to me a couple of times...

How do you check oil level on newer N ?

Warm with engine running or not? Or right after turning engine off but while hoses are full ?

• Baller
That looks like the right fluid. I recall you can't use synthetic, but plain-old ATF. While that looks like the right stuff it sure is suspicious that right after a change this starts happening. You are sure you didn't accidentally get synthetic or something like that?

• Baller
I wouldn’t use Motomaster fluid. Find some Mobil 1 dexron 3. I think I got at Lordco or Napa. Also as per manual make sure engine off for at least 2 minutes and don’t screw dipstick back in when checking. Hope your tranny isn’t done

• Baller

Sucked out old fluid tonight and put 2L of above (motomaster) fluid in. It was reading just over full when following the manual instructions. Ran fine for a couple of minutes and then slipped when I gave it some gas. I then ran with the engine cover open and held the shift linkage as far up as it would go - still slipped on acceleration.

Now that I remember, it slipped once before we changed oil - thought it was just an electronics issue at the time. It ran fine for 2-3 hrs after.

Although I’d love for it not to be it really seems like the tranny is toast.