Automatic edge change

rawly

• Baller
Can any of you advanced slalom guys ( 35 and deeper ) explain your automatic edge change , if you have one ? I’m just a -32/34 guy who used to run 35 on a good day. I know that if I load hard behind the boat and keep the elbows in and handle down , it should happen automatically. Hearing how you shortliners learned this , or visualize it , may help us longerliners. Thanks

• Baller
@rawly I'll have to come watch ya ski and well get you dialed. To answer your question though, the edge change is never really automatic, it might look like it. It only is possible if we have enough speed and angle from the previous turn to be able to stand up when you want (first wake/behind boat) to initiate that edge change. Its all cause and effect.

• Administrators

@rawly what Cole said....

The more speed you make from wide the more natural an early as change is. You really don't want to pull harder at center line. If you are in good position and you are going fast enough you can start transitioning out of your pulling edge as early as the first wake.

Goode HO Syndicate   KD Skis ★ MasterCraft ★ PerfSki  

Radar ★ Reflex ★ S Lines ★ Stokes

Drop a dime in the can

• Baller

What @horton said !

You could start by trying to lose the idea of “loading hard behind the boat” - whilst the “idea” may have helped you when you ran 35 before, for many many reasons this is NOT what you want to be doing now. Midwake you need to be stacked and in a balanced strong position (yes elbows on vest) but should be coming up into your outbound swing. One of the most common misconceptions is that being in a strong stacked position midwake also means being on edge and loading against the boat - it doesn’t, if you are loading against the boat at midwake you are just “pushing water”.