3-Event Bag Sizing Question

jgills88

• Baller

Hi all, I'm starting to look around to try and find a bag for all of my ski gear. My jumpers are 84" long, and I was wondering if it would be best to get a bag that's the same length, or maybe one that's slightly longer?

Ideally I'd like to be able to fit all of my gear into one place

* jump -- skis, helmet, jumpsuit, sling, handle

* slalom-- ski, comp vest, handle

* trick -- two trick skis, handle

Sidenote, if anyone is looking to unload a 3-event bag, I'm potentially interested!

• Baller
Your best bet would be an 85" Masterline bag. You want that bag to be as close to the length of the skis as possible, as it makes it much easier to roll. All that said, no way you will be able to get the bag under 50lbs with all of that gear in order to fly.

MasterCraft - Still the Leader. And Pulling Farther Ahead.

• Baller_

As an owner of a Masterline jump bag, I don’t recommend it. It needs oversized wheels to roll property and the wheels fall apart. Randy at Masterline’s answer when I brought my bag to their attention:

“Yeah, that happens.”

My Masterline one event bag also fell apart but I’d had it for ten years so I didn’t complain.

I currently have a Burton snowboard bag that I use as a one event bag. It works great, fits all my stuff and has a lifetime guarantee. If I was buying a three event bag, I’d buy a Stokes. And I agree with @Broussard. Get it to fit your skis as closely as possible. The skis give the bag structure. And I doubt you’ll get all those skis and gear in one bag.

Lpskier

• Baller

@lpskier the smallest 3 Event bag that Stokes makes is an 88" and their bag is much narrower than Masterlines. No way you can get all of that gear in a Stokes.

I had an 85" ML bag when I had shorter skis and now have a Stokes bag.

MasterCraft - Still the Leader. And Pulling Farther Ahead.

• Baller_

@jgills88 as others have mentioned there is no way you are going to fit all a 3 eventer’s gear in 1 bag regardless of weight. Your best option is to use a 3 event bag for jumpers and slalom, then use a sport tube for your trick skis. You can experiment with what auxiliary equipment goes in each to see what works for you.

In my experience jumpers, jump gear, slalom ski and slalom gear will be pretty close or a little over the airline 50lb mark.

You will need to allow extra room for padding if you ever intend to fly. IMO having 6 or more inches of extra room is not an issue. Easy to add towels etc to fill space and keep the extra room opposite the wheel end. So don’t cut the size too close.

If you fly it will be important protect the edges of the jumpers. A really cool idea I saw Freddy use is to get pool noodles from Walmart ( get the hollow ones), cut a slot and use them in a U shape around the tip and tail of each ski. Use duct tape as necessary to hold shape. Simple, cheap and damn good protection.

We have both a stokes and ML bag but both are fairly old. I’m sure materials and suppliers have changed since I bought them. Both have pros and cons and honestly I think it’s a coin toss between them.

If it was easy, they would call it Wakeboarding

• Baller
So you will still need 2 bags, a jump bag and a slalom bag for trick/slalom. Between the 2 you will be able to get it all in there including handles. It’s a balancing act between the 2 bags to get the jump bag under 50 pounds for airline travel.(overweight charge is gnarly) We love our Stokes Bags for Jump gear and Dakine Snowboard Roller 165CM on Amazon for the rest!

• Baller

Just wanted to update, I decided to go with a Stokes 3-Event Bag. It came in today and it looks great! I managed to fit all of my gear into the bag with a little Tetris, but otherwise no issues fitting everything, including some extra towels for interior padding.

Then the weigh-in was heartbreaking. It came in as a 70lb bag, definitely too much to try and fit everything in one bag to fly, but I'm looking forward to only needing one bag for tournaments and road trips!

• Baller_

Check your airline's oversize bag policy closely.  Most allow "skis" without a ridiculous length fee.  If you say they are "waterskis" you are likely to get a confused agent that will try to quickly read the policy.  If you just say its "skis", most will have seen that before and know how to handle.

If you are worried, try the skycap route with a couple of $20 bills visible in your hand.  Some skiers swear by this method.

• Like 1

If it was easy, they would call it Wakeboarding