What's safer; 2 mechanical release boots or 2 rubber boots

swbca

• Baller_

I have seen the picture of a skier crossing the wake with his front boot released and the rear boot locked on. Obviously an adjustment problem.

I have no answer to this question. I Only observe that a variant of the rubber boot like the T-Factor provides a progressive release and a mechanical release just snaps off. With decades of skiing, I have never had a fall where only one foot came out of rubber boots. It was all or none. The bad ones with full release probably happen less than 1 per year.

If I used an RTP I would feel safer with a mechanical release in the front to release with spiral forces. With two full boots I have no idea. I imagine this has been hashed over before. If so, I haven't seen it.

I currently have T-Factors front and rear. In my case there is no way to lace up the front that provides an easy "out" compared to a Wiley type boot. With considerable age I am concerned an ankle might break before I get out the binding in an uncontrolled fall. Like others, I love the T-Factor boot . . just not sure (in my case) that it will come off easily enough.

• Baller

This doesn’t answer your question but I’ve had some (tons…) of gnarly falls with a hardshell in the front and Reflex R-style in the back. Clean release every time and zero injuries of any type since I’ve switched.

Didn’t like a true rear kicker so the r-style was a good compromise.

• Baller_

I only know of 2 skiers who have used dual release reflex setup. Both are very advanced (39 and shorter) skiers who have a history of tinkering with bindings to find the best setup for them. For that caliber of skier, performance is primary and safety is secondary. That setup isn’t something that should be attempted by a lesser experienced skier.

Most ankle injuries happen with how violently a foot comes out during a fall and is a risk for pretty much any type of rubber binding. If both feet stay snuggly in, the risk of an ankle injury is very low.

Obviously the one foot in one foot out fall is the most dangerous and what we all want to avoid.

If you are comfortable that you will stay both feet in with your tfactors that is a very reasonable setup IMO.

If it was easy, they would call it Wakeboarding

• Baller_

@swbca 2 more factors to consider for your specific situation.

First is the "you can't teach an old dog new tricks" issue :) While most kids can transition from rubber to hardshell in a set or 2, you may not have an easy time. I know I attempted to switch from rear hardshell to RTP and finally gave up after about 20 sets. Way too many years of engrained habits to feel comfortable.

Second is the "you marry your bindings, but date your ski" saying. Once you get comfortable with a given binding setup, it can be very difficult to make a change, even from one type of rubber to another.

If it was easy, they would call it Wakeboarding

• Baller

2 mechanical release (Silvretta type) is the most unpredictable setup. Unless it’s set to not releasing… and still you would not know in which situation one of the two would release, leaving you with one in one out.

I guess what @Horton said, about the mob for double hardshells. Or double rubber or if you want to use a front hardshell… they usually work well in conjunction with rtp or r-style type of binding.

• Baller
+1 for @Bruce_Butterfield comments above. I’ve been on double tfactors for 5-6 years now . Taken plenty of good falls . Nearly always both stayed on. Others times both off . Personally I prefer both stay on as helps keep feet/ankles stable . Never had only one come off. Never had an ankle injury. I’m a fan for life.

• Baller

In the picture you mentioned, I think it could certainly be possible that something happened causing more force to the front foot causing it to release, then a little later created the force to the rear that caused it to release, potentially no setup issues and all released without issues.

I would think that if you're considering a move from rubber to hard shell then the transition would be significant. Maybe a good time to consider also transitioning to an RTP.

I've been on MOB for a couple years and would certainly recomend either way, 2 boots or just front with RTP.

• Baller_
I didn't mention getting rid of the T-Factors. I skied with the T-Factors last season and never had a fall that would require losing the ski. In my case it difficult to get out of the front boot with the laces fully loosened. With the boot laced up I don't know what it would take to lose the ski. Maybe a few more months of skiing will loosen in up a bit.

• Baller_
@6balls I switched to a full rear boot right after the front rubber boots became more serious. In the Mid 60's Rolland Hilliar and Bill Spencer won World and Masters Titles on the a cypress Gardens LiL Monster with stock consumer binding made of 2 pieces of thin stretchy rubber.

• Baller_
For my money, the Fogman release system was the best, most reliable binding system available. I still ski in them even though technically they are no longer in production and there doesn’t seem to be much progress toward release of the next generation. If I had to buy new bindings today, I’d go with MOB.

Lpskier

• Administrators
In the Mid 60's Rolland Hilliar and Bill Spencer won World and Masters Titles on the a cypress Gardens LiL Monster with stock consumer binding made of 2 pieces of thin stretchy rubber.

9dakv9x2i14i.jpg

Goode HO Syndicate   KD Skis ★ MasterCraft ★ PerfSki  

Radar ★ Reflex ★ S Lines ★ Stokes

Drop a dime in the can

• Baller

@6balls my femur was in one of those Obrien bindings that had the slider and the velcro wraps and a rear toe plate. It shows doesn't take much to crack a leg, if your heel doesn't come up you won't come out even of a low rubber slider from the 80's.

• Baller

@swbca I skied in double hardshell boots on my release system for twenty years, never had only one foot release, skied well into -39off@34mph. Double full hardshell boots do present some challenges to getting the setup correct for your needs. I switched to a half boot rear a few years back and that is what I recommend for most skiers who don't like just the rtp strap.

zf2p9syw6y06.jpg

i8hz3c2ofral.jpeg

Mike's Overall Binding

USA Water Ski  Senior Judge   Senior Driver   Senior Tech Controller