Ski lake dredging

AZ_AB_Skier

Does anyone have any experience or recommendations on a pump that could be used to clear out some sludge from the bottom of a ski lake. The material is very fine and is 98% organic algae settled out on the bottom.

• Baller_

Years ago, our club was looking at doing some dredging at a site. I found Piranha Pumps, which had some mini dredges in their product line. I contacted them and they were helpful in explaining the various costs, etc. We ultimately did not pursue that particular site, so we did not need the dredging.

https://piranhapump.com/mini-dredges

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller
Do you need to simply relocate existing bottom sediment ( blow it out if an area) or do you need to actually need to scoop it out of the lake? I use a 6.5 HP trash pump that pulls water from the lake and jets it out of a long 1 1/2” pvc at very high pressure. Works like a giant pressure washer washing your driveway. Working the pipe back and forth under water at the lake bottom it moves several inches of sediment that accumulate in my boathouse and all along the lakefront. I blow it back out 50+ ft from shore. About a 30’ blue vinyl hose from the pump to the pvc . Requires two hands to hold it very tight as it moves a ton of water. Can put the pump on my dock, on shore, or on pontoon boat to work the lake wherever I need. Also works for jetting holes in lake bed for setting posts underwater. REALLY moves a lot of water at high speed. So if only need to relo your sediment this is a great way to go. Happy to send pics if interested

• Members

We just put an industrial grade air diffuser system in our lake, clarity has never been better, wiped out the algae in days and now we can add the correct bacteria once the temp is over 60.

Excited to see how much this will alleviate our organic matter this summer

• Members

I think we’re about 19 acres, average depth of 7.5 feet. I worked with a guy named Tom Hinde at Air Diffuser Systems near Chicago, IL. “We” is our HOA here at TLE2 in Pine Island MN.

Last year we had almost no rain, we were 2.5-3 ft low. We then had a bloom of blue green algae. We installed 3 of 5 diffusers that we bought in an emergency fashion, we ran all the components out of rubbermaid totes equipped with circuit breakers and fans and in a matter of days the 3 diffusers eliminated the algae problem. It was amazing to watch.

About 6 weeks ago we had 14” of ice ( I drilled a hole and measured). I started the aeration pumps up and in less than an hour we had 3 open holes of about 4 ft dia.

I’m less than 48hrs our lake was open, another amazing sight to watch.

If you’re trying to maintain the health of your lake I’d call them. They design systems for sewage pond clean up which is why I choose them. No pussy footing around

• Baller
I have been curious if you could vacuum or filter the muck/silt off the bottom of a ski lake. Our true bottom is pretty hard and we have 6-12” of silt on top of that. Most people seem to drain and scrape. But seems like there should be another way. I picture a huge centrifuge or something spitting out the muck and putting the water back in the lake. Never did any serious feasibility study.

• Baller

@OTF explain the bacteria thing - didn’t know there was such a thing - will it eat the sediment?

We had a very bad hydrilla problem -sonar’ed it to extension but now have a foot of sediment on the bottom. Way too big an area for dredging (22 acres) 20+ ft deep.

• Baller

@OTF off your topic just a bit, but you brought it up. Some more detail please on the "diffusers".

Cost each (you stated that 3 did your 19 acres)?

Placement?

Power supply?

We have an annual problem with algae that we address with copper sulfate, to the tune of $500-600.

• Members

https://airdiffusion.systems/

Ultimately we will have 5 diffusers, we currently have 3 running. At least one more will be deployed as soon as we put the boat in. 4 diffusers will turn our lake over once every 24 hours. These things move water like crazy!

We had to add a 200amp panel and we put 8 breakers in it. Each diffuser uses 2 small compressor pumps. We built a little shelter to house them in and they are now centrally located near our club dock so we can check in on them daily. Routine maintenance is changing air filters on the pumps about once a month while in use. Takes about 30sec ea.

We did not run them through the winter, we were concerned they would keep the ice too thin and from what I saw this spring I’d say that guess was correct.

If you call down there ask for Tom Hinde, he was fantastic to work with.

Our cost to date for the system and the electrical was about 20k. We figure we will have to add $3500-$4000 in bacteria this yr to jump start the process and then 750-1000yr for a couple of years. After that more likely under $500/yr.

Our lake is about 20yrs old and nothing has ever been done outside of treat for weeds so there is alot of organic matter on the bottom. In the center its about 14-18 inches deep on average.

This will not stop weeds. It will slow algae off not stop it all together. This will make the water healthier and the weeds will likely thrive. What it does do is add the element of breaking down the dead weeds, leaves etc that are sitting the the lake.

@scuppers

My understanding in working with Tom is that the deeper the lake the better. I’d check him out. We have an HOA of 24 homes I think and so far everyone is happy we did this just on the water clarity and algae cleanup alone. If the bacteria works to remove the sludge we’ve saved a pile of money. If not, nothing ventured-nothing gained and I’ll come up with a new plan

• Members

For what it’s worth adding the bacteria worked fantastic. Average sludge/ silt measurements were down from 11 inches to 4-3/4 inches. Did our first treatment in June and added bacteria to the lake every 3rd week through Sept.