Who's getting a new ski this season?

Mose

• Baller_

I already bought a Denali C85 Medium for this season. They were clearing 2021 inventory at a discount a few weeks ago. The T-Factor boots are mounted and its just standing in the corner waiting for better conditions.

This was 5 minutes ago with the "lake-cam" by our back door. The only benefit, fewer injuries and longer skiing career because we don't ski much.

fzi637cktczb.jpg

• Baller

Just picked up a new 2021 Syndicate Omega to replace my 2020. Have always skied with fin on deep and short settings. The 2021 ski came with factory recommended long and shallow. Skied it on all factory settings assuming I would hate it. I even e-mailed Syndicate questioning the settings. They told me if is the white top (which it is) start with factory settings. Good call Sam! Love the ski and the settings. Early in the season but ran 5 @ 38 @34 mph at Swiss behind their new 2022 Ski Nautique. Have not changed a thing from stock. Great ski.

• Baller
My plan was to get a new Denali. Hoping to win it! Not sure if my shoulders are healthy enough to ski. I sold my d3 in the fall. I’ll probably buy a new ski anyway as its better to have and not need than need and not have!

• Baller
@markn: why would you Hate starting with factory settings? I got the Omega in October and haven't deviated at all from factory except to change the wing from 9 to 8. Standing tall and taking advantage of the sweet spot on the Omega has helped to a 25 year PB. Coming from the Denali C75 that I tried multiple fin and binding adjustments to no avail.

• Baller

@mcskier41 great question. I do usually ski a set or two at factory, but over the last 20 years always tweeked the fin and boot placement. Probably old habit as every time I bought a ski from Andy Mapple and got to ski with him, he would get out his tool kit and move everything. Then back in the water and BOOM, amazing. But then, GOAT knew skis!

Agree with you, stock settings on the 2021 are about as dialed in as it can be. Just was not expecting such good results without adjustments.

Congrats on your 25 year PB.

• Baller

I am waiting on the 2022 HO Carbon OMNI 69" wide to come out.

I contacted HO and they said mid May before these would appear.

Even though it is a little bit big for me (I am 210 lbs) I need a low drag and easy to get up on ski that I can still ski in the course at 32 mph 15 thru 28 off.

My research indicates this might be the ski for me.

I also like the price of this ski.

Deep water starts have been difficult for me since right hip replacement.

No pain in hip which is great but just not as strong as I once was.

I hope this ski will make skiing more enjoyable for a 68 year old man like me.

I no longer want to work hard and see how deep I can go.

I just want that nice rhythmic feeling of running the course at the longer lines.

Hope everyone has a great ski season.

Tom Smothers (oldmanskier)

• Baller

My new 2022 HO Carbon OMNI 69" wide arrived from Bart's today.

Not that it has anything to do with skiing but it is one of the best looking skies ever.

I have been trying to get one for weeks but 69" is rare.

Every time I would find one it would be gone before I could get on line and purchase.

I found the one I purchased on Bart's site and ordered it right then.

It was the last 69" one they had.

Now I have to wait a few weeks to try it out due to last Friday I had Carpal Tunnel and elbow release surgery on my right arm and hand.

Recovery going well but will be three or four weeks before I want to try to ski.

I hope this ski will make skiing more enjoyable for a 68 year old man like me.

I no longer want to work hard and see how deep I can go.

I just want a ski that will be easier to get up on and experience that nice rhythmic feeling of running the course at the longer lines.

Hope everyone has a great ski season.

Tom Smothers (oldmanskier)

• Baller
My advice: if u are rocking it on a ski keep it don’t think geez maybe that next ski will get me a few more buoys. If u get a new ski hang onto that lid ski all set up for u for a while even if the new one feels cool out of the box.

• Baller_

I live on a tight budget and spent any new-ski money this season on a 3-day stint at The Boarding School. Worth it.

I'm currently on a 2016 Vapor Lithium and running 15off/32mph pretty consistently after only 5 days on the water this season, so I hope to move past that quickly. I've told myself that once I can run 22off/34mph and am taking looks at 28off, I'll treat myself to an upgrade of a used C85. I'm hoping whenever Denali comes out with a new model, people will be gettin' rid of their 85s for a bargain ;)