Ski preferences as you age

Kevin364

Looking for your ski preferences and choices as you realize your "best days" of slalom skiing are now behind you. I'm now 62 yrs old, and now skiing at 32 mph. Typically running 28-32 off on a HO syndicate A1. (Not the ski for this speed...). Still love to slalom, want to enjoy my time on the water, want to still "feel the thrill" of running mid-length line passes, but now want to do it at a slower speed, and not work so hard on the syndicate.

Time to soften the ski a little I think, and looking for what you've done if you've gone through this "life changing" process...

• Baller_

I am 65 and just started skiing 32. I am on a Denali C85 and love it, although my fin numbers are a little different than the recommended numbers for 34. Depending on your ability level, you do not need to avoid high performance skis just because you are skiing 32. 30 might be a different kettle of fish, but I’ll deal with that in 10 years or so.

Who says your best days are behind you at 62? WTF??

Lpskier

• Administrators

@Kevin364

For sure you want to be on an all Carbon / PVC top of the line spec ski. Lower spec constructions will require more effort to ski. A ski like an HO A1 was cutting edge when it was released but is a dinosaur by current standards.

Conventional wisdom is to use increasingly wide and stable skis as the boat goes slower. For a lot of skiers this logic will work. The Connelly Carbon V, Radar Senate or the HO Omni are all good examples of these skis.

Where this logic breaks down is with skiers who have trouble staying on edge though the wakes ( because of technique or orthopedics issues ). I have seen slower speed skiers thrive when they moved to a top of the line tournament ski shape. Top of the line skis are more narrow and less roll stable so they go through the wakes much better then wider / more stable skis.

• Baller_

If you're skiing at 32 in the course now and loving it, skiing at a slower speed isn't necessarily going to be easier or more fun even with a bigger ski. If you continue with your short-line skiing, your lower speed on the backside of the ball can result in more strain on your back and shoulder's because you are accelerating from a deeper position in the water. And the wake is probably going to be a noticeably larger bump.

You might want to change to ski that gives you the best most comfortable performance at 32 rather than assuming 30 mph is your future sweet spot. It sounds like you can ski conformable at 28 off at 32mph, so you are ahead of the 22 off bump, and maybe at your ideal speed.

• Baller
If I recall correctly when I aged into 32 mph, I stayed on my 34 mph ski (68" Mapple and 68" Vapor at various times). When I graduated to 30 mph, I went to the stiffest 69" Radar Senate. It worked well for me until recently, but my performance deterioration has nothing to do with the ski I'm on. No doubt the Senate is wider and doesn't negotiate the wake as well, but it enables one to get a little more speed (which is not as easy at 30 mph) and gives more support in the turn. It turns just fine. Turns don't have to be lightning quick at 30 mph. Just my opinion.

• Baller
Horton is right if your budget works for a newer ski. Sizing and preferences are like ice cream, many flavors and opinions to choose from. I’m in a similar age, speed and line situation as you and after trying a number of skis I feel more comfortable and confident going up one size in length rather than to a wider ski.

• Baller

If you are 62 your best days are not necessarily behind you. I had my best score at 34 mph in a Record tournament a 66 year old.

Transitioning to 32mph is some what dependent on your strengths and weakness. I turn poorly, but hold angle well and tend to hang on to the handle longer than most. So for me a longer ski did not work, I tried same ski but longer and different skies. A larger ski, felt better at my easier passes but not at the harder? As always you mileage may vary, what is good for one is not for others, so try different skis and pick what works best for you not what is good for others.

• Baller
Agree with @JackQ , at only 62 no need to assume it’s time to dial back. At 65 I’m not at all considering dialing back, rather looking to improve over last year. Personally skiing at 34 doesn’t feel fast so I have no desire to slow down. Also the skis I ride really like speed. Was on a GTR and now a DV8. Others I ski with have shifted to a Senate and love it. I have to say they’re also skiing better. So while I’ve never ridden one I do see the results in others . If you go the Senate route my leaning would be to the Pro. Definitely agree with the overall recommendations here of upgrading from the A1. GREAT old ski but a lot has changed that you’ll enjoy with something more current. Try a new stick and you may be back to 34

• Baller
@Kevin364 You've got a lot more years left than you think. My past few times skiing in FL, I was definitely the young guy on the dock, and definitely the least talented skier. I'm currently on a Carbon V (which is really nice for both open water and course), but now looking at a Vapor Pro Build to allow me to push harder in our course. Key thing is staying in shape. Pilates and diet. Pilates and diet. Oh, and a ton of pullups every morning. :)

• Baller_

@Kevin364 You mentioned slowing down from 32mph. I just remembered watching the video archives of the M9 event at the 2020 nationals. The low speed and the wider skis had the skier's entire body mass airborne twice on each wake crossing. There was nothing graceful about it even with the best skiers. Elsewhere in this forum M8 and M9 lifelong competitors have mentioned missing their opening pass in tournaments because of the wake. I suggested this in an earlier post, but a bigger ski and slowing down may not be your best option for a fun skiing experience. I'm saying it again because I just remembered that M9 30mph video from the 2020 Nationals.

Suggest trying 30mph with a bigger ski before you commit.