2022 Radar Vapor Boot

ROBOT

• Administrators

The all-new Vapor boot rewrites what is possible in waterski footwear by creating the pinnacle in hybrid boot technology. For the first time a rigid lower skeleton is connected to a Carbitex upper cuff to create the perfect blend of connection and control. The rigid lower skeleton gives a skier complete control over the edges of their ski while the Carbitex upper cuff allows a skier to move over their ski with ease to find balance and connection to the water. A Boa dial completes the package to give a precise fit every single time. Anyone that’s ever owned a Vapor boot in the past now has a reason to upgrade to our latest technology, strap it on and see for yourself the difference, skiing is believing.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Baller

Question for those that already using the new vapor boot on a reflex system. My concern is, when used on a reflex system, as I intend to use mine with, how is the release triggered? The cuff is soft and my concern is that maybe it won’t work the same as the rigid reflex cuff in triggering the release fast enough. I plan to change the bungee cord with a non stretch one, but is this alone good enough?

Thanks,

Alex,

• Baller

@EFW Can you share your insights here?

I’m in the same situation as @skialex and people seem reluctant to post something about this boot with the reflex release here for whatever reason.

At worlds they had the new boots on display and also the different plates, including the one with the reflex release.

Spoke to Brooks at his booth and he showed me the Radar Silvretta plate which was basically identical to the Reflex plate but had a few more (adjustment) holes drilled where the release mechanism is mounted to the plate. He said that the boot would work with my reflex plate no problem. But also mentioned something about the right sizing, but I can’t remember all the details. BTW - He was pretty open about it, not secretive at all.

• Baller

Correct - since Reflex only has even sized shells (8,10,12) the Reflex plate will only work with even sized Vapor boots (8,10,12). If you have an odd sized Vapor Boot (9,11) you will need to purchase an adaptable mounting plate from Radar or your local dealer.

• Baller

I have skied twice now on my new 2022 Vapor Boots in open water. They are mounted to my 2021 Radar Senate Pro. I'm a 15-22 Off 32-34MPH Skier with one season under me after 20+ year break. I previously skied with the Radar Vector Boa Front and HRT Rear. 22 years ago it was double rubber high wraps.

It took a big risk after geeking out on Ball of Spray and all the hype of these boots buying double boots full retail direct from Radar. Tried them on in the living room and man were they tough to get on my size 12 feet (ordered size 12 Boot); but once they were on they immediately felt great and are sized correctly. I understand these liners can be molded / will mold over time so was not expecting a perfect fit dry. In the living room the tongue did feel tight on the top of my foot, but as I predicted was not evident in the water mounted to the ski. Despite feeling really good for a dry fit, they were almost impossible to get off, dry in the living room. With both the BOA and top bungee laces completely loose, I had to stand on the back of the aluminum plate and really pry to get my foot out. I ended up slightly bending the bottom plate getting them off in the living room. This kind of worried me, as I don't plan on using them with any additional release system.

Initial set up - I removed only the rear bolt on the upper ankle for the rear boot to pivot fwd easier. Front boot everything installed. These were mounted using the included aluminum plate direct to ski.

First Ski - To get on I found it easier to leave the liner in the boot and slide the foot in with a little soap. This seems to be the way it was designed as the hand holds are on the liner only. I wanted to ensure my foot had a chance of coming out in a fall first set; so I left the top bungees only tight enough to not slip off their notch. The BOA that tightens the lower, I cinched just enough to take up the slack and apply light pressure. On the boat platform I tried to see if I could pull or twist my foot out and I could not. I found that with the BOA tightened, bungees loose, it was still too tight to pull my foot out. The BOA comes far enough up my size 12 feet that my foot would really have to bend to slide out. I loosened the BOA and then reengaged the clickers but left it very loose. Despite it being left very loose the system was still more secure feeling and foot tight to the ski than the Vector System I was using. This is all before any break-in.

Skiing the boots felt very good and natural right away. I loved the connection to the ski and despite my double boot set-up I had enough rear ankle flex and freedom to move naturally. I am RFF but surf and skate LFF. Ironically I think I keep my weight fwd and more balanced on the ski with double bindings; I think with the rear foot feeling more secure, I relax it more and balance naturally, where with the HRT or a rear toe strap, I get overly active on my rear foot kind of constantly forcing it onto the ski subconsciously.

Performance was superb skiing. I wanted a better connection to the ski and I got it even with the upper bungees and BOA being extremely loose first set. I felt like my offside turn improved most, gaining leverage vs my old setup. I feel a more immediate positive reaction to input and intentional weight transfers. No falls first set, but I found my front foot would come out of the liner leaving the liner in the boot. My rear foot would come out with the liner still on my foot. I equated this to having the rear ankle bolt out of the rear binding giving it more flex and room for the liner to come out.

Second day skiing on the system I found the liners to have molded to my foot some. This enabled me to get a little tighter on the BOA and still have some confidence I would come out. I found the sweet spot for the BOA and could then adjust the top bungee tighter. I am loving this setup and cant wait to get on the course. Thanks for making a great product Radar. q61p9qmzelmz.jpg

diaq0plxyp9w.jpg

• Baller

Good write up. Interesting you tried it with the one bolt removed right away. I left everything in and love it, but might experiment a bit once I start to ski more. When you are done do the liners stay in or do they come out with your foot? I find that most of the time my foot and the liner come out together.

• Baller

@horton I heard you modified your new rear Vapor boot to be similar to the Reflex R-style. If so would you please post a pic.

I’m trying to decide if I should cut out the sides and top of the toe piece and leave the foot bed of the toe like the R-style. The other thought is to drill out the rivets and remove the toe price of the boot completely which will remove the foot bed from the toe area and my toes would rest on the mounting plate.

I’m leaning towards cutting out the top and sides of the rear boot to keep the footbed like the R-style.

All input welcome…

• Administrators

@ToddK

I did try something as an experiment for @brooks. I don't know if it's actually an approved Radar modification. I removed all the rivets so the toe cap came off. I think a lot of people might like it as a rear binding.

Goode HO Syndicate   KD Skis ★ MasterCraft ★ PerfSki  

Radar ★ Reflex ★ S Lines ★ Stokes

Drop a dime in the can

• Baller

@horton That would be hot sauce from that nights Taco Time burrito. Bachelor life...

@richfoster - @Zman - @skialex I was very fortunate that @brooks gave me an early sample of the lower shell to experiment with. Pretty easy modification/"hack job" if you have any skill with a Dremel and a utility blade.

I have never tried the HRT but feel my modified Vapor is a big upgrade from my R-style.

The lower shell is a much harder plastic and with the adjustability of the boa it does a prefect job of dialing in what ever amount of downward pressure you feel is needed to keep your foot connected to the ski with out any pressure points. The R-style applies more pressure to the sides of my foot when tightening for me.

I also prefer how the bottom of the Vapor is completely flat and how it screws into the plate at all four corners of the boot giving you zero side to side movement of the shell and a rock solid connection to the plate and ski. Like all Reflex boots the r-style is a converted roller blade boot and is no where close to being flat. I did heat mine up and flattened it out the best I could. However, it is still attached to the plate with one screw centered under the ball of your foot and one centered under the heal and the shell will roll left to right on the plate fairly easily. Not a ton but it does not have a rock solid connection like the Vapor.

To me it's the perfect setup if you like having the support behind your heel that a rear boot gives you but also want to have full side to side angulation of your ankle that a toe plate gives you.

• Baller

@Zman My highly skilled customization 😉 works great keeping my foot from sliding backwards.

I have no knowledge on if or when Radar plans to offer the boot without the upper cuff. That’s way above my security clearance.

• Baller
@igkya I ran my rear boot with the screw out initially; what I found with the screw out is it created a pocket my heal could get stuck in during a release. It did not give me much additional Dorsiflexion anyway; I think the human body has lots of leverage in that motion and the screw is not much of a hinderance. I'm running them without any additional release system. I put the screw back in and run the BOA and Bungee in the rear quite loose; I actually like this better as it gives my rear foot more freedom to move in multiple directions. For me the boots fit so well the bungee and BOA on both front and back can be run much looser than older 100% soft material boots.

• Baller

iizcp2vju81l.jpeg

Just received my vapor boot! I’m going to use it on a reflex system. Don’t want to do any mods before using it as it came from the factory. Had to move the release to the front holes, otherwise there was some play.

Question is, should I change the bungee cord? I put a strap that was in the box over the cuff and the bungee cord. Tighten as much as possible and feels that coming out of the boot is still possible.

Don’t want that, also don’t want to lose the boot. Question is for skiers using it on a reflex system. Please tell me, now that’s been a while.

• Baller
Don’t want to do any mods before using it as it came from the factory...Question is, should I change the bungee cord?

I would consider that a mod... but yes, changing the bungee out to a fixed lace would take out some of the forward flection. Some skiers using this system have replaced the bungee with a fixed lace.

• Baller
@Andre I only went to kaiafas proam. Only going to a couple of tournaments per season and my last was pre Covid. So I’m not that good to be on the national team and go to the Europeans. Maybe next time and only if I take it seriously and participate in a lot more tournaments. I say that every year though. ?