Swim ladder ideas for 2012 200

Kenboat

Purchased a 2012 200 this fall and based my age 61, and our friends who go out to play on the boat are all in young their 60's feel adding a swim ladder is a good idea for us old farts?

Any ideas? Been told the swim platform on my year 200 is hollow?

• Baller

I like @BraceMaker’s suggestion as it’s temporary.

Permanently attaching a ladder to a Mapple icon edition 200 will ruin its resale value, please don’t do that!

An alternative might be to custom fabricate a new swim platform with an integrated ladder that folds up when not in use. This way if u decide to sell it later you can put the original platform back on.

The platform on my 2018 is designed to be removed easily, not sure if the 2012 is the same. If it is I bet you can buy a second set of brackets to attach the custom platform without doing anything invasive.

• Baller

I like the idea of the ski handle on the rear eye, I do have a handle and rope that was messed up and would be a quick setup. If they cant get in the boat they will just have to swim for shore!

I could mount a 10 ga ss plate between the current swim platform bracket and fiberglass platform. Bolt in place with the platforms fasteners and mount the swim ladder to the new plate. Probably make it go from both brackets so the platform is spaced evenly.

Could use counter sunk ss allen head screws from the top of the ss bracket and ss lock nuts on the ladder when bolted together.

Boat is in storage so it will have to wait until spring.

• Baller

They make various single-step and even multiple-step "ladders" that mount directly under your swim platform and fold up out of the way,.

Hey, there's one now:

https://www.wholesalemarine.com/stainless-steel-under-platform-telescoping-boat-ladder/?gclid=Cj0KCQiA-eeMBhCpARIsAAZfxZC68LU_sUcUsIyhq0tamWtuNGkPndnSpiMgLjoibcjzJEspGEKfj5oaAolOEALw_wcB

Mounting process:

original.jpg?1629804929

• Baller
I think you have the right idea with “let them swim to shore!” I can appreciate the pent up excitement about a new boat that you can’t use u til Spring leading to projects, but I would suggest just living into as is for a summer before making any changes

• Baller

@skierjp thats exactly the issue we had an older Chris Craft had a ladder under the platform that if you basically couldn't use because the bottom step was so shallow you had to do yoga to get your foot up that high. Same thing on the pontoon boat it needed a deeper ladder.

The old handle works really well. It somewhat floats so you grab it stick your foot on the bar then put your hands on the platform and stand up. Because the hande can spin you just turn and your butt is on the platform.

We keep ours rolled up in the boat and use it mostly when getting older folk back in the boat. But will keep it out if people are swimming or whatnot. How many old handles do we all have?

• Baller

Can someone with a 2012 measure the center to center holes for the swim platform that are bolted to the bracket from left to right when standing at the rear swim platform .

I want to order a 12 guage ss steel plate that will be as wide as the brackets are were the platform rest on when mounted.

Although this ladder is on a wakeboard boat, the same design concept should work for most any platform. I did not want to drill holes in the fiberglass platform. I built a rectangular frame from solid bar stock and bolted it to the brackets that support the platform. I used aluminum to make the assembly lighter, but I think steel would be fine also. My platform brackets had existing holes I was able to use, however....I would have been willing to drill new holes in the brackets if needed. Then I bolted the ladder to the rectangular frame. I positioned it so it retracts flush with the edge of the swim platform when stored. We have only used it one season but it has worked extremely well. kizrijtybpcu.jpeg

481g5pwpu8mr.jpeg

• Baller
I like your design of the ladder support, I need to get to my boat this winter and measure the distance between the brackets. I was planning a 1/8" ss plate as wide as the brackets and about 14" deep. Your two bars is a better design, thank you!