KD Titanium - Review

Horton

• Administrators

The new KD Titanium is a refinement of the KD Platinum. A review of the 2017 Platinum can be seen here.

The dimensional difference between the Platinum tested in 2017 and the Titanium is subtle but the improvements are clear. The bevels, rocker, and flex have all been refined to make a very good ski even better.

General feel

The Titanium feels more like an extension of the skier than a piece of sporting equipment that must be adjusted to. The titanium is fast into the wakes and delivers automatic turns. The Titanium also provides an unexpected level of forgiveness when the skier does something unwise.

Turns ( both sides )

Most skis turn with a bias toward tailslide or a bias toward the front of the ski pulling to the inside. The Titanium is distinctly neutral and delivers a turn that can be described as a “hockey stop” turn. The turns are quick and feel like the ski is rotating around the skiers' feet. The more the skier can stand tall on the ski approaching apex and delay the ski rolling to the inside, the more distinctive the hockey stop turn will be.

If the skier forgoes the hockey stop style turn and moves their mass to the inside / rolls the ski in early the Titanium will provide a fast caving turn.

The ski works best with a neutral to forward weight bias approaching apex ( as with most skis).

DSC 8238

Ball to wakes

The Titanium makes ample speed into the first wake with a moderate amount of load and effort from the skier.

Remarkably, the ski will allow the skier to recover from a major mistake at the ball and still make enough speed by the first wake to stay in the pass.

Wakes to ball

The ski casts out off the second wake naturally and carries ample speed to apex. It rides moderately deep in the water providing stability approaching the ball.

DSC 8318

Conclusion

This ski is a personal favorite of mine because it just works. During this review period, I did not think about how I needed to adjust my skiing to work with this ski. I spent most of the rides just refining my craft and or trying to ski up to my PB.  

DSC 8327

Settings: 2.465 - 6.890 - .779 - 29 1/8 - 9

Goode HO Syndicate   KD Skis ★ MasterCraft ★ PerfSki  

Radar ★ Reflex ★ S Lines ★ Stokes

Drop a dime in the can

• Baller
Where is the ski made? Does anyone know who is behind the company and the design of this ski? The Kidder Redline was the first high-end ski I purchased and I still have a spot in my heart for that name/brand. I might have to figure out a way to demo one.

• Baller
@Horton, yes, I did listen to the video, just mislabeled it. I like a video as I like to see how the ski comes around, tip up or down, etc. You've put ski videos of other skis, just wanted to know if you posted one.

• Baller

Switched from Radar to the KD a couple of years ago, first the Platinum and this year the Titanium. Love the ski, lets me get away with some things the the Radar did not. Wicked on side turn. Turned 65 last year and reduced boat speed to 32 mph, thought I would need a wider ski but was wrong. Ride a 67" 5'10" - 180 lbs. I am very happy with this ski.

• Baller

Switched from Radar to the KD a couple of years ago, first the Platinum and this year the Titanium. Love the ski, lets me get away with some things the the Radar did not. Wicked on side turn. Turned 65 last year and reduced boat speed to 32 mph, thought I would need a wider ski but was wrong. Ride a 67" 5'10" - 180 lbs. I am very happy with this ski.