The Ultimate Duel Waterski Battle

Wish

• Baller_

Cirencester UK. Looks like a blast from their FB page. Does anyone have any insight? Pipe dream perhaps but would love to see this in the States. Especially at the pro level or a Pro-Am. This one looks like amateurs but well organized, cash prize and even recorded. Great showcase for the sport!!

wcab1qt3nzfd.jpeg

ps7pldzlqhxa.jpeg

g6jwrp0kj06a.jpeg

opzw3q21htgz.jpeg

• Baller_

@dvskier yes, it was. Nice to see it come back and branch out to a new location. Looks like there was 28 competitors bracketed. Also looks like a bunch of age differences. Maybe handicapped? Where could this actually be done in the states?

tx5gdmeb982n.png

• Baller

I was one of the event organisers - this has been 2 yrs in the planning.

The idea was simple - make a slalom waterskiing competition spectacular to watch and awesome fun to ski.

The format can be applied to Pro events, Proams, league & backyard. Also, how many other sports can you have elite men and woman competing with each other on an equal level?

The event was a huge success! Nobody died - although my iphone took one for the team and a drone became temporarily MIA at the bottom of the lake as it was taken out by some huge spray.

We are now in the process of collecting all the footage - from the development trials last year to the recent competition. We will be making a punchy PROMO video that we can take to sponsors.

The aim is for BIG CASH PRIZES..

Note: the aim is not to replace the existing competition format, Pro Tours or other cool competition events out there. This is an addition.

However, just like Dual Slalom in alpine skiing, or Dual Mountain Bike Slalom etc - this event is easy to understand by the masses, and is super exciting to watch. We want to draw in crowds and create real excitement in our sport again.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?vanity=105895201847343&set=a.107233335046863

• Baller_
@gavski this is exactly what could make slalom fun to watch by the masses. He who falls first or misses loses. Almost as easy as understanding jump. Hope you bring this vibe to the states and make it a big thing. There’s gotta be locations around Central FL for something like this. Lake Ivenhoe comes to mind. Or the Central Florida Fairgrounds (Barnet Park) to name a few. And like the downhill, each course may have slightly diff conditions depending on maybe wind, shoreline and the like.

• Baller

Which ever way you look at it - it looks awesome…just spent the day skiing with Jeremy Newby-Ricci and Glenn Campbell. To see the these boys ripping it through 41’ is astonishing..seeing them do it side by side is something EVERYONE needs to watch..

We had a gourmet coffee barista wagon at the comp..he couldn’t keep his eyes off the action, even whilst making the espressos..

There are very few sports that are exciting to watch live…it’s how it’s presented, vibe created, camera angles, live feeds/ replays etc etc that make even the most boring of sports captivating…

In some ways, technology has killed off live sports, as it’s all too easy to sit at home and get the same, and arguably better experience. But, new technology has made it easier and more affordable to capture the most incredible camera angles and create a spectacular live event with all the razzmatazz that we love…watching a Bruce Springsteen concert at home is not the same as seeing him live…

This is what we are trying to achieve..

@aussiemc - that’s fantastic.

• Baller

UPDATE: we are on the Pro Tour Calendar..

22-24 July 2022

Details to follow and the format is yet to be confirmed…But, it will include the Pro’s shooting out against each other for cash prizes and then elements of past masters, amateurs, Pro-am/ team event..

• Baller
That broadcast was next level. The two presenters were top notch and you could tell they had experience broadcasting multiple different sports and leveraged that experience. Well done.

• Baller
@ghutch there was a lot of banter on and off camera so I'd say they enjoyed it a lot, winding each other up at each end of the lake, spraying each other, then on the bank it was very relaxed with the pros mixing with the kids and generally having a good time (although I think some of our American friends found it a bit chilly!)

• Baller
Kudos to The Duel organizers - they did a phenomenal job with the event. The two former olympians did a great job on the microphone and picked up the sport and the details of slalom skiing quickly. The attention to detail separating the event into blue and red from the boat to the skier's bibs down to the carpet on the starting dock was impressive.

• Baller

Just a bit of background for those that maybe wondering why we hosted the webcast on Vimeo…

Because we had a DJ playing music to the crowd throughout the whole day, YouTube wanted a significant licence fee for each song that may or may not have been picked up by any of the camera mics…I did try and argue that this would fall into background noise - like the wind, crowd, birds, but to no avail.

I had already paid for a music licence to cover this event, but the added restrictions imposed made it impossible for us to live stream the event without killing the music and atmosphere…

Now that the event has been lived streamed and you can hardly make out any distinguishable music on any of the camera shots etc, we will be working to get the event up on YouTube asap.

Having watched the webcasts, the best experience is to play them back through the Vimeo app.

• Baller

Although I am probably biased - the webcast alone far exceeded our expectations. Yes there were a few mistakes with names etc - but you will always get this with a live broadcast…

To me it was like watching ESPN, SKY SPORTS or the BBC.

Chemmy and Aimee managed to put everyone at ease - even the pro skiers. Those characters that are known for ‘being in the zone and focused’ to the point of being unapproachable, came out of their shells. I think Glenn Campbell, in particular, has a new career ahead of him as a tv sports presenter.

With Chemmy and Aimee being ex-professional athletes - olympians no less, and now professional TV presenters made all the difference. It reminded me of the hayday of waterskiing with Wayne Grimditch etc presenting..

Chemmy spoke to the pros before the event and explained the parallels with the this event in the alpine world and how she has been at the forefront of helping launch dual alpine racing to where it is today - a fully funded and integrated event in both the FIS calendar and olympics…she was so excited to see this event launch successfully..

Everyone played their part. I few more tweaks to be made to make it slicker and simpler etc…I think we created a really fun event for anyone to watch. The atmosphere at the event was electric, hopefully that comes across in the webcast.

• Baller

Just for clarification - this was a bonafide Pro Tour event - sanctioned by the IWWF, not just some ‘fun event’ to be dismissed. It just so happens to be great fun to ski in..

We are not trying to replace traditional formats. We have taken a previous idea, tweaked it and launched it into the world to make an exciting ‘spectator sport’ that can be watched and enjoyed by anyone, with the aim to significantly increase awareness of our sport to general public.

Almost all professional sports have had to adapt and evolve to keep them exciting to watch..just look at fencing or curling.

I would like to acknowledge the great work by TWBC and the others out there trying get the sport to the masses..we just have a different vision and at no stage are we looking to do anything other than co-exist in the same way that WWF, UFC etc share the same platform..

• Baller

Without serious money from alternative sponsors and revenue streams - our sport will, sadly, remain a fringe sport withering on the vine…

Our pro skiers should be standing toe-to-toe with every other elite athlete on the public stage..the only difference is money..

Semi-rant over..sorry..

Mic Drop..

• Baller

Good question and I get it a lot..the problem with 6 buoys is that you will struggle to fit the course in 99.9% of ski lakes…it’s not the width, it’s the space at the end of the course for both boats…

This has been 5yrs in the planning and I have reached out for advice and help from pros, coaches and lake owners.. there has to be a compromise, and this was what we ended up with..who knows, we may develop into a 5 buoy duel..now that would make for interesting skiing…

Almost every mainstream sport has had to change and adapt whether to fit into tv schedules or shoot for Olympic status. I don’t think that having a 4 buoy course is that much of detraction or lessens the sport..it was such a shame that we had the wind..we were hoping for some sub 41’ off duelling..now that would have been amazeballs..

Look at alpine dual slalom - bmx start, snowboard style gates, 6ft jump halfway down the course, equally spaced turn gates, and on a shallow gradient because it runs into the ski resort…who would have thought that skier cross would be a major hit with skiers and spectators alike?

Reinvent, reignite and improve whilst still remaining true to the core…

• Baller

@gavski if you can fit a 4 buoy course you should be able to fit an overlapping 8 buoy and get 6 in each direction. How long is the lake?

Webcast was amazing. Loved the Olympian commentators. I think getting them on tour with the current host of many other webcast would be a great benefit. Enjoyed the less screaming, less strange phrases, and less inaccurate facts was a nice change of pace.

• Baller

@MattP interesting suggestion. Thank you. The lake is has an existing 6buoy that I used to line up the new 4buoy course, I then converted the 6buoy to 4buoy for the event.

The lake does look busy at first glance, so we tried to reduce the number of buoys to a minimum. Nobody that has skied it has then subsequently asked about making it 6buoys…

The other main advantage of having 4buoys is that it easier to spectate. The whole point of this event was to create a live ‘spectator sport’. From one viewing area, you can see all the action in close up detail. It’s a mute point, but for example, F1 and downhill ski racing only really work as a live sport because of the cameras. Without them, you get a 0.5sec glimpse every couple of mins…

I will take another look and I am already looking at tweaking the format to make it slicker and more exciting..sadly, I can’t book the weather…

• Baller

Watched the highlights. thought that overall it was bloody fantastic.

I get the 4 buoy course. coverage was great. Weather - well it is England

Well done all of you

(From an ex watersports centre owner)

• Baller

If you want to try and engage more public and it,s just a suggestion

Roundhay Park,Leeds, the Council there can be more open minded than some, if it was tied in with another public event it could go well, more public more sponsors.

Waterloo Lake what a name for a Battle, when water skiing was more popular, I know that there were water skiing events held therein the past.