TonyT

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Baller
Really liked Cole Giacopuzzi first settings he gave me,but added 6.837 for my length 2.497 deep and 8 1/2 on wing because I'm only going 32 mph, this ski ROCKS, may try new setting but I really like the settings I have and skiing good, All my ski friends know that I love to tweak but this may be the first time just to ski and work on my bad habits THANKS for all your help

• Baller

@kurt It’s the same as measuring with the old vapors on the sequence plate you measure from the back of the slot next to the rear of the front boot.

That measurement is the same as if you were only running a front vapor and measured from the base of it.

For 67” I’d go:

29 7/8

• Baller

Gotcha. I use one of two methods for the carbon sequence plate…

Get Bf established with front boot alone mounted. Then just note where the side screw scale is mounted. Then go back and mount the rear boot. Now you can move 1/16 increments from there and always know Bf.

Or just mount the front boot and measure the distance to the end of the plate. Remount rear boot and slide the plate based on difference from end of plate to the tail of ski.

Either way you’re moving the plate from a known position. I’ll have to check out the slot method

• Baller
Good to know about the sequence plate! With double boots and the plate my practice has been to measure a blank ski and run a tape line across it and then pull the tape after I set the micro tuner, but just measuring to the slot sounds a whole heck of a lot easier.

• Baller
@ColeGiacopuzzi I’m talking about the different measurements for different bindings. Wish there was a way for all to be standard so that we can start at stock locations. Going from one binding to another, like rubber to hard shell or vapor, can be big.

• Baller
@vtmecheng agreed, would be helpful if manufacturers would list which binding was used for their measurements. I get it it, it's only meant to be a starting point and we can adjust from there. But not all of us are pros at setting up skis. I've moved my binding around enough to know that 1/4" has a huge impact. So that leaves a guy wondering if the binding i'm measuring puts my foot in the the same spot as what the factory measured. Maybe it's not as important as a I think but if I knew for certain my foot was located in the right spot i could just go ski it right out of the box with no worry.

• Baller

I took up the challenge from @brooks and tried the long/shallow last night. I liked it! The ski moved out to the ball nicely from the wakes and finished the turn with good speed. I could get across course with a lot of space before the next ball. I'm going to keep it here for a while.

• Baller

I've only skied them twice but I'm liking them. Like you've said here or in the 23 model thread, I'm also typically a short/deep skier; I was running Cole's short/deep but I really think it was too much depth. The ski seemed kinda stuck under me, didn't want to roll onto edge, and took a lot of input to turn.

None of that is true with long/shallow. Give it a shot!

PS the softer tip on the 23 ski does sound a bit enticing too.

• Baller

I’m with @GMC - my ‘22 Vapor didn’t want to turn the offside so Rossi suggested these long/shallow settings:

These are what I ran on my 2017 Vapor and made it much more ‘point and go’. Have to be careful not to bury the tip on the offside though and it’s easier to get pulled out of alignment (well it is for me!) as the tip is lower.

Short and deep feels epic on a flat lake when you are ahead and on a high line, but it feels to me like you really have to hustle the ski at shorter line lengths (especially on my harder passes as I’m clearly not Chris Rossi!) and feels slower in warm water.

• Baller

Ha, I had the same question in draft all morning... Thought I sent it hours ago!

BTW my previous post was no knock on last year's posts in this thread... those short/deep settings worked great where I could push the ski around a bit. Not so much lately though, which is probably just making me ski properly.

• Baller

@ColeGiacopuzzi Ive had great success on your last numbers on my 2022-

29 3/8 from bottom of base of vapor boot.

Just received my 2023 and wondering if you are running those same numbers...assuming you're on the 23 already. Shape is the same but different flex in the tip. Will the new flex pattern alter the settings a bit, if any? Im going to start with the stock/short deep as it came but maybe go 29 3/8 on Bf. Thoughts? If it starts a significant discussion we can move to the 2023 thread.

• Baller
On 6/22/2022 at 7:54 AM, ColeGiacopuzzi said:

@tjm i ended up taking some surface area away. Those settings you’re at are great.

I ended up at:

29 3/8 from bottom of base of vapor boot.

If you’re on a different boot than a vapor Go 29 9/16.

Is that with the new boot?  Can I measure to the sequence plate groove?  My boy just switched to the new boot, RTP, and a plate.  

IMG_5235.jpeg

Edited by jjackkrash

• Baller
3 minutes ago, ColeGiacopuzzi said:

@jjackkrashYes those settings were with the new boot. 

Yeah you can measure from the rear of the slot where it lines up with the rear of the boot. 

So, not the actual rear of the slot but a straight line from the rear (bottom) of the boot out to some point on the slot?  Then measure from there to the back of the ski?  

Edited by jjackkrash

• Baller

Yeah in the photo in your post you won’t be able to measure from the base because the RTP is touching right where the tape measure should go.

So since the rear of the front boot lines up with the rear of that slot; you can measure from the rear of the slot straight back to the back of the ski and get your measurement. Does that make sense? 

feel free to PM and I can help more too!

• Baller

It's interesting.  I tore it all apart and took measurements with the rtp off and got a stock setting/measurement from the base of the boot to the rear of the ski using squares and whatnot to get the best measurement possible.  I placed it at the stock setting and took a baseline measurement from the rear of the carbon plate, per the tip above.  Cole's settings are 1/8 of an inch longer than stock.  Which, at the end of the day, put the microadjusters at dead-bang zero (the exact middle adjustment) on the plate.  I think the Radar folks are playing a gag on me.   LOL.  🙂

Edited by jjackkrash
  • Like 1

• Baller
51 minutes ago, jjackkrash said:

It's interesting.  I tore it all apart and took measurements with the rtp off and got a stock setting/measurement from the base of the boot to the rear of the ski using squares and whatnot to get the best measurement possible.  I placed it at the stock setting and took a baseline measurement from the rear of the carbon plate, per the tip above.  Cole's settings are 1/8 of an inch longer than stock.  Which, at the end of the day, put the microadjusters at dead-bang zero (the exact middle adjustment) on the plate.  I think the Radar folks are playing a gag on me.   LOL.  🙂

Same here on the G10 plate and reflex release.  Dead nutz on center hole.

• Like 1

• Baller

Just a quick question about boot length on a 2023  68 Vapor.

From below the Reflex rear block to the end of the ski is either a little less than 30.25 or a little more.  34 mph skier - 210 lbs.

Any comments on pushing it forward more than 30.25 - probably help the offisde turns etc.

Right now I have i at less than 30.25