TonyT

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Baller
I find that the 2022 is faster than my 2019. I tend to pull a little too long cross course and I felt that the 10 degrees was the right deceleration for my skiing style. The boot change was helpful with engaging more of the ski in my pre gate glide and the buoy. These changes were tried at 34 mph for about 3 sets at 28, 32 and 35.

• Baller

I'll throw in my support for the 22 version. I haven't skied a Vapor since the 17. I was already starting to demo skis this year when this one was introduced and the press release described exactly what I was looking for in a ski. It delivers on those words. It is more than fast enough, makes good angle, really moves well through the turns right out of the box. Stock settings work well but I've gone a few thousandths shallower and forward to free up the tail just a bit. I like how that feels but my best practice score (by a buoy) was with the stock settings... maybe I should go back!?!

It's a fun, low maintenance ski that does a lot of things right.

• Baller

@whitem71 I got the white and wasn't sure how it would look but it looks fantastic. I hope you love it as much as I do. Ran straight into 3@35/12m today in 65F water. That is only the 2nd time I have got outside 3 ball ever and I got to it again the next pass. if I am skiing a little bit back it still gets it done. If I get a little more on the front foot it is a rocket ship (in the right way). Still all on stock. I want to try @ColeGiacopuzzi numbers but stock is so good.

Cheers

Ali

• Baller

@skimtb For sure @ColeGiacopuzzi can answer much better than myself, but I would say yes - the 20 and 21are similar to the 2019, maybe with slight updates. And, the 2022 is more of a redesign, with more significant changes.

I don't think you can go wrong with any Vapor 2019 or newer.

I stand corrected by Cole in his comment below.

• Baller
@skimtb no so 2019 is a completely different shape than 2020 We work in a 2 year cycle. 2020 was a new ski; 2021 is a refinement of the same shape. It’s usually smaller changes. Then 2022 is a new shape. I had mentioned earlier in this thread some key differences from the 19 to the 22, but stability, but also Read the paragraph above it has Some key things I think the 22 does better than any other ski.

• Baller

@ColeGiacopuzzi Thanks, that's what I was saying, just not clear. 2019 is one design, then the 20-21 is a different one, and now I know 21 was slight change from 20.

PM to you with other questions so I can stop the threadjack...

• Baller

@ColeGiacopuzzi. I loved the 2016 vapor, especially with @TFIN numbers. Moved away from radar the past 4 seasons - long storey…But, i am very interested in the 2022 vapor - so much so that I am about to take a leap of faith…

Do you happen to have the numbers that TFIN sent you? I am assuming it’s for the 67”?

• Baller
Taking my 3rd set tomorrow on the 22 vapor. Had a little trouble getting it to turn tighter on both sides. Stock settings from web site. Might take a few thousands off depth or move fin forward, probably depth first.
  • Like 1

• Baller

@ColeGiacopuzzi Thanks for sharing those. Last week I took a swag at the alternate settings for a 67" based on what you previously posted for 66 and 68 and tried

29 3/4

I moved the front binding up 1 click on my Mikrojust (so probably 29 13/16") and the ski felt awesome... then it got cold and windy. Probably done for the season but I'm dialed in for next year with those or maybe the actual numbers you posted.

• Baller

@ColeGiacopuzzi thanks for those numbers - next step, organise a demo from perf ski..

Just curious why this ski appears not to have arrived with great fanfare? Just a more subdued release and reception..time of year, worlds, COVID?

I have no doubt it is going to be a great ski.

• Baller

Skied 4th set this morning and still not getting it to turn on both sides. 67inch, binding 29.75, length 6.850,depth 2.476, D/T .760 Went with a smaller wing(8 degrees) because I felt the pull out glide wasn't there. Suggestions? 3 of the 4 sets were in fairly strong cross winds and chop, so maybe just need more sets. Usually when I get on a new ski one side works fairly well and tweak the other. My 2017 just worked from day one.

• Baller

@Chris Rossi - you guys nailed it on this one! I’ve been on (and loved) the 14, 18, 20, and now the 22. By far the most consistent of the bunch. Still haven’t touched the settings from stock. Finally pulled the boat for the season this past Friday but the ski rips even when the water cools off.

• Baller
@ETskier : Yes, C. Rossi sent me these #'s: 29 3/4, 6.92, 2.45, .77 and I skied much better. There was only one set of settings or Radar website and originally went with those. Just can't get any calm water right now, getting those north winds in fl. which is a strong cross wind where I ski. Tried again yesterday and the ski was bouncing so bad I just free skied on the N shore.

• Baller

Just came back from Orlando and skied around 8 sets on my new 22 Vapor. First impressions was it felt longer weirdly even tho it’s still a 66 like my ‘17. Also felt smoother, stickier, calmer and maybe a tad slower. It turned like a hot knife through butter, created lots of angle and held it strongly right up to the pre turn. Offside felt like I was on my back foot however and needed some tweaking and in the end I lengthened the fin slightly to give more tip. It was either that or move the bindings forward but the fin tweak seemed to help.

So overall really liked it but it felt a whole lot more grown up and kind of sensible. Very unlike a Vapor tbh.

Oh and the water out there was 28c!!

• Baller
Im finally starting to really enjoy my 22 Vapor. Started the season at all stock numbers but wasn't working for me all that well.. Truth be told, It was mostly me that wasn't working. I ended up with @ColeGiacopuzzi numbers of basically all stock except pushed DFT from .75 to .76. Just that small DFT tweak made all the difference. Now the ski really comes around and I get an awesome hook up in great position..As an added bonus my turn in for the gates has been almost 100% better. Able to get over the ski and off the heel and sets me up great going into 1 ball. Game changer.

• Baller

@ColeGiacopuzzi im still on your numbers but have the new vapor boots so going to give these new #s a rip.

@ColeGiacopuzzi How is your Vapor boot set up? Mounted directly to a Radar plate or using the Reflex release? Having trouble getting the boot straight with the Reflex system. Its cants the boot outward. (LLF and the boot cants left noticeably). I believe others are having same issue. Mounting to the plate with screws gets it dead on. I added a Mikro Just to the plate to get Bf exactly where I need as well.

• Baller

@ColeGiacopuzzi

for a 66", these settings look stock except for the .761, which is .11 more DFT:

29 1/4

What does the extra DFT do to the ski characteristics? (wonder if these settings would work well for a junior skiing just getting into 36/-22)

• Baller

@jjackkrash those were the settings I was at a while back, but to answer your question the extra DFT forward makes the tip ride lower allowing the tail to slide more. I usually end up riding our skis with more tail slide.

Now I’m at:

29 3/8 from bottom of base of vapor boot.

If you’re on a different boot than a vapor Go 29 9/16.

Yeah i think that they will work great, give them a rip. Worse comes to worse you just go back to where you were.

• Baller

@ColeGiacopuzzi, thanks so much, I'll make those adjustments on my boy's ski.

I just picked up a 2022 68" for me last night, any suggested settings for a 68? (I saw from October your suggested numbers were as follows, are these still the way to go?):

30 1/4