Do you ski in the wind?

Horton

• Baller
I put up to 25mph....but it has more to do with the site/wind direction etc. I've skied on some pretty windy days with @ESPNSkier . I also ski with Jodi Fisher who is know for being one of the best skiers in bad conditions and promotes training in tough conditions. We look more at how much chop, and/or if it starts building into rollers, as apposed to the wind. A strong wind and a reasonable chop is good practice.... too much chop and you start risking injury. With a limited schedule, you ski when you can, not when the conditions are best.

• Supporting Member
No specific threshold for me. I'll ski in anything that isn't dangerous. In fact, this season has been almost entirely in wind that was "just safe enough." The rare days with half-decent conditions have felt like cheating!

• Baller

@Horton I assume you're looking for "water effected" wind results in this poll?

For example, I can ski in 20-25+ mph east/west wind and still a have relatively smooth water based on the terrain.

If I ski in a north/south 10 mph wind it's going to be drastically worse.

P.S.....your conditions look atrocious.

• Administrators

this pole was started because of discussions about the wind at Nationals. The subject really was "what is a fair expectation for conditions" at a major tournament?

I know Florida people ski in a lot more wind than I do. I think it's a whole different mindset. There are lot of things about living where I live that are less than ideal but the lake is a sheet of glass almost every day.

as a side note when we do get a windy day we always call it "Florida Glass".

• Baller

@pregom fair...I ski bouys on nice water, sometimes when there is horrific wind but b/c of our courses protection it might just be glass just some wind on the body to deal with.

If it's horse s)(*&^ out there in the buoys I'm not putting on my ski. Might barefooot parallel the swells just cuz...

On tourney day that is another story. Bro Jim and I have gone out into a "straight down the course" howler bumping our opener from 28 off to 35 off straight into the headwind. Most others scratched...it was 3 rounds, we were there to ski.

• Baller

Poll question is not specific enough.

I will ski up to about 15mph Head tail. Typical at “The Pond”. More that that it’s not safe or fun.

I will ski up to about 30mph cross wind.

I think what was meant is how much wind do you typically ski in? If that’s the case, 0-10mph.

• Baller
I think it depends a great deal on the size of the lake you ski on. There is wind (head/tail/cross) and then there is rough water. Wind, but protected shoreline. Wind, but it’s a narrow ditch. Wind, and its white-capping. Time to go sailing.

• Baller
If someone is pulling I’ll ski. In the worst conditions I’ll likely slow down the boat and soften the knees. We’re fairly well protected up to ~20 mph. Much higher than that and the boats usually stay on the trailers.

• Baller
Whitecaps are the limiting factor for me. If it is warm and breezy/blowing wind I’ll definitely ski. Scores won’t be as high, but as was mentioned, skiing in those conditions gives you not only an appreciation for calm water but the mental fortitude to grind through the rough water.

• Baller

Our course is out in the middle of our medium sized lake. No trees to protect it and it runs east to west. So, course skiing is always challenging. We have a large island so we use that to our advantage when open skiing, as it always gives us a protected area for some glass.

• Baller

Just a little something to keep in mind, those middle wind speeds on a private lake produce conditions that are a LOT different than on a course on a public lake. My vote is based on that!

Now, if we only had water...

• Baller
I am with @PatM here, the wind is not the issue - It is what it does to the water that makes a difference. I am too fragile to take a fall where I am not expecting it. I am too fragile to take a fall where I am expecting it, but that is a different story.

• Baller
I have a north shore course on a public lake. For a south wind I draw the line at 7mph due to a 1 mile run before it gets to the course. East or west wind at 10mph. Out of the north anything goes as the terrain is 20 to 60 ft above the lake with trees and very well protected.