Denali C85 Review

Horton

• Baller

I was bouncing around between skis and settled on a C85 a few weeks ago as something totally different. No looking back.

Like others have said, it just works. Feels way different than what I was used to, but at this point I forget how. Super smooth, does everything you ask of it and nothing you don’t want. Very natural.. it’s almost weird.

I’ve had some crappy sets on it, but have also gotten real close to my best pass in a relatively short amount of time, and it’s still pretty early season here in Michigan. It’s also a blast free-skiing.. minimal effort for lots of speed and big turns .

The Denali crew builds a great ski and my search is over.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Baller

Quick 3rd party review.

My wife bought a c85 last month on her way to Maine. We haven't had an opportunity to hit slalom course yet, but we have been free skiing.

Her skiing seems to be much better. After her set yesterday, she commented that she's liking the ski the more she gets to know it. She is finding that she can edge change closer to the centerline without feeling out of control over the 2nd half of the wake.

I asked her if she thought she could trust it more. She said yes. I can tell that's the case.

She's been skiing at 18.5-off at 27.5mph behind our Response LX.

I see her turns as much more deliberate -- she keeps the ski tip down and her hips up more during the turn instead of pivoting the ski. The exits lead to much more speed to the wake.

I hope to help the people who own the course in town to put it in by the end of June. Hopefully that happens as I'm itching to get back to counting buoys. But I do love to free ski up here. The water is so crisp and clean!

• Baller

Have been loving the C85 this season and have made great progress with it (and thanks to some good coaching as well).

I started this year at a 32mph opener, but am now starting 34 and into 36, with some rope shortenings to boot.

According to the Denali size chart the medium is big for me now, but rather than suggest a smaller ski, @AdamCord gave me some new numbers to try, and I'm glad I asked.

I was between stock 34 and 36 settings: 29, 6.875, 2.5, .890, 8°

Adam suggested 6.900, 2.55, .950, 8°. Didn't talk boot but I moved to 28.75 per their published settings. I liked the new feel overeral but it was a little wild/snappy and riding a bit tip-up.

Coach suggested reverting to 29 for second set and it calmed down, but onside turns were not real smooth and it was easy to over-engage the front of the ski. Then we settled on boot @ 28.75 and reducing DFT to .930, and bingo. Smooth onside and offside turns, easy to build speed and get wide, and still forgiving of my mistakes.

I'm not a setup guru by any means but with some help from others, I'm even happier with the ski and it's fun to feel the results of the adjustments made, so I can start to understand some cause/effect. I'll also brag that I knocked out my season goal and new practice PB of -28/36 last night first set with new settings, so I'm super happy.