MY GIRLFRIEND IS BACK

bananaron

• Baller

syujt57oa3du.jpg

Remember boats are like girlfriends you love them however there is another one around the corner,Well look at whats on my lift.I have had many boats over the last few years and my old girlfriend is back on the lift and really one of my fav boats to ski.I LOVE THE GEKKO GTR for an old dog like me to ski.Life is good............7qyjfejfk7al.jpg

• Baller
I bought this boat from Mark Overbye President of Gekko sports in june of 2001.I sold the boat to a young college skier who lives on my lake the summer of 2016.He just needed a place to park the boat for a short time so he knew this old guy would love to have the old girl back to ski it.Thanks to Mark for making what I think is one of the best ski boats made and I wish they were still in production.However we all know why they are not however If I could find one I would buy it.LIFE IS GOOD.........

• Baller

Those are cool rides, man. @razorskier1 had one for years--I think a '99. No spray, tracked on rails, and great barefoot speed. Look so cool in the water so low slung.

A few tweaks and she could have been a serious competitor to the big 3. A little softer wake(maybe a small hull tweak?), some more cushion in the upholstery, nicer carpet, some sort of back-splash lip at the rear transom. I realize the idea was price point, but I think the bones were there to take the big 3 head-on. Having said that would need the horsepower of the big 3 for continuous innovation, new models etc.

No doubt a cool boat, enjoy it Ron!

• Baller

@6balls I have an 02, 04? Some where around that. The upholsterer that I have had replace some panels comments on the quality they put into it. He was pretty impressed. That said, I wouldn't mind a little more support for the drivers seat lumbar. The mercruiser I have is representative of the time 315hp or so, fuel injected. The carpet? I still have the original, but it it starting to mat.

I absolutely love the boat, I do wish it had a little more out of the hole, but I am comparing it against my friends prostar with an lt1...soo :) Even the wake doesn't seem particularly hard until it gets cold, then I feel it.

I do wish it didn't take on water so easily, both over the front and the rear. It makes public lake boating...ummm...interesting.

Mark was just one of the best. I bought this boat used, and he would pick up the phone every time I called and help me in any way he could. There is a green Gekko for sale on ski it again with a 6.2...I would love to know how that skis :)

nj9nauig4u7n.png

• Baller
Nice looking boat on the water. Similar to my dad's 92 Supra Comp TS6M. He will never sell that boat because of the way it looks on the water. He bought it just about new in 94. Feels pretty good to ski behind if you get close enough, haha.

• Baller
@moski Mark tried to bring the boats back I think in 2015 and Larson boats in Little Falls,MN was starting to make the boats.I think its too tough to compete against the big three and also the slalom boat market over many yrs is much smaller.Very few slalom boats are being made. I think many buyers would rather buy a used slalom boat made by one of the big three then to buy a new less expensive GEKKO.If you ski the GEKKO you will see what its like however if you don't experience that then you will buy something else.I feel its like polaris and the victory line of motorcycles.They could not compete with harley even though they were great bikes the harley owner would not change.Its difficult to get buyers to change when they are brand specific.

• Baller

@bananaron I think you are right in that you need to get people on them (and behind them). When I did my swaterski event to raise money for brain tumor research last year I had a couple slalomers ask for the other boat because they had never seen a gekko before. After they skied it, they were very pleasantly surprised. That is SO hard to do at scale though. Every skier has been behind and/or driven at least some iteration of a Mastercraft, Malibu, or Natique.

When he relaunched it is even harder because now you also have people wondering if he would still be around in 5 years :(

I hope he resurfaces somewhere, as I said, one of the best guys I have ever worked with as far as customer service.

• Baller
@Keith_Menard My bro Jim's had the Black Scorpion and no troubles with hole shot or top end on his Gekko it ran about 48 mph up top. It was prone to vapor lock on hot, humid summer days, though. Always propped the hood when it was on the lift after skiing so it ran the next time if someone went pretty soon.