Steering issues

MacsBrendella23

So I’m very green to boats, I’m decently mechanically inclined. But when it comes to sourcing parts, knowing what should be replaced and simple maintenance on our “new” 92 brendella short line comp. we took it on the water for the first time. It sounded great but the steering was extremely stiff. We got her home and I did an oil change, cleaned up the interior a bit and decided I’d do some research before getting into it.

Found that the clear tube behind/under the steering column was bone dry. Added some lube in there, and the steering loosened up but had a strong click still. Trying to get the grease to work it’s way through I ended up snapping something behind the cover of the wheel.

I’m looking at possibly replacing the entire steering set up.

Basically what I’m asking is what parts do I look for? & how can I grease up the rudder? I didn’t see a zerk fitting on it.

Any help is appreciated. Thank you

• Baller

No idea for the specifics of the Brendella but on my nautique I replaced the steering cable because it was stiff. I also dropped the rudder and cleaned the dried out Grease off of it and did a light layer of freah grease.

You can probably unhook the cable from the rudder to quickly determine if it's the rudder itself or the cable. You can move the rudder by hand.

I’m really cheep but I have learned not to waste time trying to lube a bad cable. There are some good guides on replacement on this forum and YouTube. If you change your own oil you can handle this. The cable bolts onto the back side of the wheel and is held by a pivot pin on the rudder. The fastest way is to cut the old cable, duct tape it to the new one and pull it through.

• Baller

That is called a single cable rotary helm. You need to find the part number on it so you can get the correct replacement.

A version meant to be used with a tilt unit - this may or may not be the right one

https://nuwavemarine.com/uflex-standard-rotary-tilt-helm-t81fc/?gclid=Cj0KCQjws-OEBhCkARIsAPhOkIbCE42_bKPwtAE-NrYBuaZQArw8uLOM_DCh-hKCdFU2yzlkBScbnn8aAvksEALw_wcB

• Baller

The broken bits just look like the coupler between the steering rack and the helm. Its usually a cast aluminum/zinc bit that has a few plastic bushes and a cross bolt.

From behind the dash there is the rotary rack, then the shaft comes through to the front. This can be splined or keyed but yours looks to be a U shape that receives that aluminum bit, then the tilt or fixed helm bolts onto the front and interfaces with that bit and holds the wheel.

• Baller

I just had similar issue on my 1994 Tige SLM Comp. What broke there looks to be the tilt column mechanism. Same thing happened to mine when I cranked too hard on the wheel when the steering cable seized and I was floating away from the trailer.

That looks to be the older style Morse Steering Column and cable. You will need to replace both the helm (what you are showing in the pic) and the cable. Morse is no longer in business so you will need to replace with another brand like TeleFlex. You will need to determine your cable length (usually code printed towards end of the cable you can google). I chose to go with a non tilt column replacement to eliminate the additional moving parts and failure point. Your steering wheel should bolt right up to the new helm.

• Baller
@MNshortliner I was very tempted to go rack & pinion (same price) however the cable helms @MacsBrendella23 offer a 3 Turn Lock to Lock ration vs the rack & pinions I found were 4 turns lock to lock. My original Moris was 3 turns; I didn't want my steering any less responsive or to change my flow with the skier in the course so for my needs cable was still better.

I got ahold of the people at Skidim

They helped me greatly, I’m going to be replacing the helm, and steering cable. My question is, does this system need to be upgraded as well?

I’m going to be doing a deep clean of the hull, removing all rust, and stains as much as I can.

I live in Washington so their not in shop so I’ll probably order these parts tomorrow.

I just want to get everything needed and get it fixed ASAP. It’s starting to warm up over here and I’m not missing any lake days lol. e7xcdft1wpb3.jpeg

• Baller
@MacsBrendella23 if it were my boat I would replace that steering clamp block and the attaching bolts with the proper Stainless steel hardware. Inspect the Clevis on the end where it attaches to the rudder arm and replace if you have any doubts. Most importantly watch this video before assembling at the 6:30 mark especially.