Do you practice slalom in Coast Guard Approved or Competition Vest

swbca

• Baller_

Haven't been around skiing for a long time. Starting over in M9. The ice just went out in Minnesota and I have a 3 month window of skiable weather before the Regionals and Nationals. Non Coast Guard Approved vests were used in practice and tournaments back in the 80's.

What going on now with slalom practice ? I have a competition zip-vest but don't own any Coast Guard Approved vests. I don't think we have any vest police patrolling our lake.

• Baller
@swbca, non-USCG vests are not a safety issue for tournament-like condition practice and the norm in man-made lakes (with “standard” competition dimesions) with experienced driver, observer and more people in the dock. The farther you are from these, the more a safety issue it becomes.

• Baller
@swbca ask yourself the question does the person or persons in the boat with you or nearby have the ability to haul you into the boat if you are unconscious? It is entirely situational as @ral mentions above. In my case on a public lake at odd hours with (deliberately) no one around, just the two of us, my wife and I choose USCG vests and it still may be a bit risky.

• Baller

In Minnesota you do not need to wear a life vest when performing water sports behind a boat, but a CGA vest has to be in the boat for the skier/ tuber/ boarder. I don’t write the rules, just telling you what they are. You can get a Minnesota boating guide at your local DMV.

I wear a non CGA vest while skiing. I have found that some jackets have some extra bulk in the stomach and side area that do not allow your forearms to be pinned to your sides.