The Ski or Die Podcast w/ Elizabeth Montavon

EM_

• Elite Skier

Hey everyone! We couldn't stand the thought of people buying Ski or Die apparel and leaving it at that... that's just rude. I'd love to introduce you to the Ski or Die podcast & Ski or Die TV — where Stevie Island and I bring our outspoken and occasionally irreverent opinions to the masses. Follow us as we discuss our experiences on the pro tour, debate hot topics in professional water skiing, share the do’s and don’ts of cross-training, and explore what makes a winning mindset. Our goal is to bring another dimension to the already outstanding collection water ski podcasts out there — more content elevates us all.

8etelhbqmtcx.png

Today we released another episode, bringing us to a total of 4 to date. I would love for you to join us on what has been a super fun undertaking thus far! If anything listen to the first minute, because @sisland31 wrote and recorded the intro song and it's probably the best podcast intro I've ever heard... but maybe I'm a little biased. ?

Big THANK YOU to everyone who has joined us on the Community Text app. Your feedback in the creation process sincerely helped us build something we are proud of. ❤️

Ep 1 — Welcome to Ski or Die with Elizabeth Montavon

I share how a simple mantra transformed into a lifestyle brand — and my vision for the future.

Apple Podcasts: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/ski-or-die/id1554547867?i=1000509861868

Spotify:

Youtube:

Ep 2 — Can Water Skiing and CrossFit Coexist?

With so many methods for off season and cross training available, it can be hard to commit to one path. In this episode, we discuss our experiences with CrossFit — the good, the bad, and the ugly — and which pillars of CrossFit and functional fitness we recommend to skiers of all levels.

Apple Podcasts: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/ski-or-die/id1554547867?i=1000510206723

Spotify:

Youtube:

Ep 3 — Community Ask: How to Train Your Hardest Pass

This week we dove back into your questions and found a real gem. How do you train for your hardest pass, especially if you’re fatigued by the time you get there? It’s a situation that many skiers find themselves in as the season progresses. In this episode, we share our strategies for building “hard-pass” endurance and different methodologies for everyone — from the weekend warrior to the daily skier.

Apple Podcasts: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/ski-or-die/id1554547867?i=1000510206724

Spotify:

Youtube:

Ep 4 — The Overrated / Underrated Show #1

Introducing a new segment on the Ski or Die podcast, we rate popular topics on the scale of overrated to underrated, including Moomba Masters, being sponsored, and Britney Spears. Yeah, you read that right.

Apple Podcasts: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/ep-4-the-overrated-underrated-show-1/id1554547867?i=1000511710765

Spotify:

Youtube:

• Elite Skier

Ep 5 — 11 Years in the Making — My Thoughts on the “Haters” in Water Skiing

Reflecting on my experiences as a junior skier at ski schools, training with pro skiers and pro coaches alike, I discuss how “haters” are the deeper, systematic roadblock to growing the sport, and how we all have responsibility to be better in the face of wrong. I wrap it up with my framework for handling critics in all areas of our lives.

Listen on Apple Podcasts

Listen on Spotify

Watch on YouTube:

• Baller_

Wow. Much respect for EM and much disappointment to hear that exists in the world of young skiers. As an educator that’s really hard to hear. I think beyond SafeSport, there may need to be some clinics run by educators or the like to emphasize what young teens need as far as mentors and coaches before you’re allowed to get a coaching certificate. Maybe that already exists...if so, it’s not working. I do understand and do not believe she is casting a wide net but any hint of what she is saying could still exist is unacceptable.

Edit; willing to help in that regard.

• Elite Skier

@ALPJr thank you ??

@Wish thank you for listening! I'm optimistic because I know there are SO many good people in our sport. As an industry we have so much potential to grow and I think that starts with how we coach and mentor our youth. Good change is coming!

@Clydesdale LOVE IT!!! ?

• Baller
One question: why were some people trying to dissuade you from this conversation? Certainly not an easy conversation or topic, but I’m certain it will pay dividends because you have the guts to tell it like it is. As a parent of three kids I am perplexed as to why conversations that are adult in nature would ever be brought up when young and formative children are present - even teenagers for that matter. Now that we know and are aware this is happening - I’d suggest that we as parents ask our children if there is anything they were uncomfortable with - whether it be summer camp or even a night at a friends house. It also proves to our children that we have their best interests in our mind. We care.

• Elite Skier

@Skoot1123 I think when they saw "cover haters" on the content calendar, they were afraid it was going to turn into a major gossip fest. Now that the episode is out there, everyone has been beyond supportive ☺️

And I agree, we need to empower the youth to speak up. It's a tall order in any sport, or industry for that matter, that has a large junior demographic. I believe it's especially difficult in a culture where young people are suffering from self esteem issues more now than ever. And it's easy to want to the the accused "self esteem destroyers" away — social media — but how realistic is that really? That's why I propose we ADD value to their lives instead of take away — skills / work ethic (work hard) & empathy (be nice to people).

@RAWSki enjoy!!!

• Elite Skier

Ep 6 — Community Ask: The Motivation Myth

With so many of you asking us to address the issue of “motivation,” we couldn’t put this episode off any longer. When you’re in your pursuit of greatness, it can feel impossible to stay motivated 24/7. But maybe you don’t have to? In this episode, Stevie and I dissect the role “motivation” has played in our careers as athletes — both in the gym and on the water — and how to elevate yourself past the need for motivation in the long run.

Listen on Apple Podcasts

Listen on Spotify

Watch on YouTube

• Elite Skier

Ep 7 — Your "Disclaimers" Are Slowing You Down

We kick off this episode with a little life update, including nearing the end of our bulking season and our experiences finishing 21.2 of the CrossFit Open. It was during 21.2 that we saw how frequently people add “disclaimers” to their experiences and how that ultimately holds them back. We go on to discuss why we think the subconscious habit of disclaimers can create a disconnect between skiers of all levels — from the recreation free skiers to the seasoned pro. However, in reality, we are all truly on the same page: the love of water skiing.

Listen on Apple Podcasts

Listen on Spotify

Watch on YouTube

• Elite Skier

Ep 8 — The 2:00 Drill #1

Another new format we love — the 2:00​ drill! We answer your questions about if it’s possible to train ski skills off the water, what it’s like coming back from injuries, whether or not we have days when we don’t feel like skiing, our favorite Zero Off settings by boat, and more. We hope you enjoy this format as much as we did and submit your questions next time!

Listen on Apple Podcasts

Listen on Spotify

Watch on YouTube

• Elite Skier

Ep 9 — Change Your Perspective on Tournament Nerves

We’re back this week to talk about tournament mindset, specifically managing nerves on competition day. We pull strategies and analogies from how we’ve been coached and our own experiences that we think shine light on “nerves” in a new way. We talk about microgoals, perspective, and why “pressure is a privilege.”

Listen on Apple Podcasts

Listen on Spotify

Watch on YouTube

• Elite Skier

Ep 10 — Audit your Circle NOW

This week’s episode is a difficult conversation but is near and dear to our hearts. What do you do when the people closest to you don’t believe in you? We dive into how our circles have positively and negatively impacted us and why we can’t let other people’s opinions guide us on the journey. Your success is 110% YOUR responsibility.

Listen on Apple Podcasts

Listen on Spotify

Watch on Youtube