Best looking prostar ever?

6balls

• Baller_

ITS 4TH OF JULY . . Light Weight - No Wake - Cute driver. Great for happy hour cruising . . the gunnels are wide enough for comfortable seating for cocktails and dinner with up to 12 people all summer long. We usually have the lake to ourselves at 9:00pm so I learned to practice when the course looks a little blurry.

5kim0qqssu20.jpg

• Baller
I’m having a really hard time finding a good picture, but the boat Marcus Brown took on the Mastercraft Face to Face tour has been one of my favorites. Outside of that, the dark blue and white classic Stars and Stripes boats.

• Baller_

@Broussard,

https://teamtalk.mastercraft.com/showthread.php?t=29236&highlight=prostar+history

From poster C36 (the author and, apparently, authority):

"The model name “MasterCraft Skier” was used from 1968 until 1985 on MasterCraft’s tournament water ski hull.

The model name “ProStar” was introduced eighteen years later in 1986. This change rebranded MasterCraft’s tournament ski boat the “ProStar”.

One year later in 1987 MasterCraft added the “190” to the model name – resulting in the “ProStar 190”. The “ProStar 190” model name has remained on the closed bow version of the tournament ski boat ever since."

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller

@swc5150 Interesting. I would bet that when they tested for Coast Guard approval they weren't sure what the boat would be called. (for example early 2014 ProStar towers had "197" on the tag under the tow point).

MC sent out a brochure in 1986 that said "A sneak peak of the 1986 COMPETITION SKI BOAT by MasterCraft. With the other side saying "A sneak preview of the new TriStar by MasterCraft. There was no mention of model name but you are the first I have heard refer to the 1986 as the Power Slot.

• Baller
I owned two Mastercrafts many years ago. If memory serves, the first was a 1977 with a 1:1 transmission. The second was a 1981 power slot. The 81 had a larger diameter prop because it had the 1.5:1 transmission, and it indeed had a power slot in the hull bottom above the propeller. I always thought that the hollowed out bottom to accommodate that big prop was why it was called a "powerslot". The 1977 with the 1:1 transmission did not have the large prop or hollowed out bottom. For that reason I did not think it was a powerslot.

• Baller
No other MC will ever be as cool as No. 1. The Orange hull, the significance, the history on how it came about and who was there. The impossible to find reverse mph/km white face Airguide 712. Being an antique ski boat nut there’s nothing like seeing it in person.

• Baller
The TMCno1 I was thinking about was the red and white 88 or 89 that was towed by the same vintage, white Chevy Astro van with the custom red MC stripes that was popular on the MC Teamtalk site back in the early 2000’s.

• Baller

I think I'm bias, but our 1st MC was a red rainbow, and that has got to be one of my favourite of all time, classic shape, no wake

ley83a4w6no8.jpg

Second is my old MC, a UK/Europe only model I believe, the 1st gen prostar hull with the "skier" deck, apparently done for that year (87/88 in the UK?) as the deck mould wasn't available during the production run.

gycw3aogar2h.jpg

• Baller
@chrislandy - you're correct there, in the late 80s MCs were being made under license in the UK - so the 87/88 skier hulls in the UK aren't the same as they are in the US. Alot of people look at your boat and say its an 86 - but the lower hull graphic tells the truth.

• Baller_
@Broussard I bought this 1986 ProStar promo boat in 1986 From Midwest Marine - now Midwest Watersports - for $16,000. Sold it for $8000 in 1994 when I moved away from the lake. It was a great boat as long as the prop was perfect. The power slot on that elastic hull required the prop to be better than new or better than just repaired. It took a couple of years to find the perfect prop. I still can't adjust to the prices of new boats. Twice the price of a good German car - not counting the ultra premium German car models.

• Baller

Love the 25,000th hull! I've always liked the look of the TTs too.

Ours aren't anything as exciting as some of these, but we've enjoyed them. New engine going in to the '94 this weekend and we're closer to being back to one boat (if anyone is in the market for an '88)! Ignore the garage mess - it was a tight fit to get them both in for the winter.

7ndtyxjqeiwg.png

75380092_2668281223224693_44655925082854