• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Administrators

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

California Ski Ranch ☆ Connelly ☆ Denali ☆ Eden Lake ☆ Goode ☆ HO Syndicate MasterCraft ☆ Masterline ☆ 

Pentalogo ☆ Performance Ski and Surf ☆ Reflex ☆ Radar ☆ Rodics OffCourse ☆ S Lines ☆ Stokes 

About Horton

• Baller
@OTF Hate to say it but, you have rattle snakes (TIMBER RATTLER AND E MASSASAUGA) in SE MN. Mark and I many years ago found the body of a mowed up timber we think, but could not find the head or tail next to hill on the north side road to confirm. 3-4 ft. section def looked like a rattler pattern.

• Baller

In mid-March, one of our K-9's was attempting to apprehend a dangerous felon who was hiding in a pond. The suspect grabbed the K-9's head and shoved it under water in an attempt to drown the dog. Fortunately, the K-9 wasn't harmed and the bad guy went to jail.

In light of this, it became clear that while K-9's may not be suitable for in-water apprehensions. And since there are 554 lakes within Polk County, other options were considered.

The PCSO field tested various animals to be used when suspects enter the water in an attempt to escape.

Otters were among the fastest, but flinging one fifty feet was too simple for the bad guys.

Elephants were not only fast, but they were impossible to be thrown by a suspect. Unfortunately, they don't fit in Ford Explorers.

Manatee were tested but they only fared well when the suspects were older than 95 years old and covered in lettuce, which is a scenario that only really occurs once or twice a month in Polk County.

We tried cats, but, seriously, they are way to smart to get near any kind of water. And, they only work when they pretty much feel like it, which is almost never. And who wants to look at a wet cat—not pretty.

Finally, we tested alligators. They proved to be very fast in the water and not easy for suspects to free themselves from.

The Polk County Sheriff's Office is pleased to announce the creation of a unit like no other in the United States: The PCSO G8R Unit.

Ten deputies are currently being trained to work as handlers for our G8Rs, and funding has already been secured to provide each G8R with a fitted bullet proof vest.

Just like their K-9 counterparts, these G8Rs will also be available for demonstrations at area schools and nursing homesf19swz3vhyd0.jpg

• Administrators

California Ski Ranch ☆ Connelly ☆ Denali ☆ Eden Lake ☆ Goode ☆ HO Syndicate MasterCraft ☆ Masterline ☆ 

Pentalogo ☆ Performance Ski and Surf ☆ Reflex ☆ Radar ☆ Rodics OffCourse ☆ S Lines ☆ Stokes 

About Horton

• Administrators

About Horton

• Administrators

About Horton

• Administrators

About Horton

• Baller

These guys are not welcome either. A cotton mouth about 5 feet long was spotted swimming across our lake a couple times a few weeks ago. A neighbor we allow to fish there said he would pop it next time he sees it. Let's hope.

This one I spotted in my backyard.mu6klono8pjq.jpg

cvxpwlzv43sp.jpeg

That little fella comes over a lot to inspect what’s underneath our dock. ?

He’s super timid and flees the scene as soon as you approach him.

Sometimes when I start skiing our west course I have to occasionally shoo him out of the way before I hop into the water.

No issues with him yet, not so sure how I feel about it a couple years down the road when he grows a bit more though.

• Baller
@MichaelWiebe - one of the magazines did a small article on gators and stated there had never been an attack on a skier in Florida as long as AWSA had records. I skied on Lake Seminole (between St. Petersburg and Clearwater in Florida) for many years which has a population of gators, never an issue. Just respect them like any potentially dangerous animal and you should be fine.

• Baller
Forget the gators. Forget the moccasins and rattlers. The only truly dangerous part about skiing in FL is driving to and from the lake. Everything else is child’s play compared to the homicidal maniacs behind the wheel of the cars and trucks we have to dodge daily on the way to ski. (We need a lake house!)

• Administrators

About Horton

• Baller
@Horton - check out "TheMalibuArtist" on YouTube. Tons of drone videos just like the one you posted of GWSs lazily cruising the SoCal coast literally in the takeoff zone just outside of where waves break. In one, a longboarder turns to paddle for a wave and his hand appears to hit one and the shark just flinched away. Most of the GWSs are "juveniles" in that they are in the 8 to 10-foot range and appear to be feeding mostly on rays and fish. Some pretty sketchy footage of sharks headed toward people in the water (including kids), but they always seem disinterested. Not sure where the "adult" GWSs are. In other locales looking for sea lions, elephant seals, etc., I guess. That one you posted looked to be on the large side of juvenile.