MasterCraft in the news

DW

• Baller

https://www.tradeonlytoday.com/manufacturers/mastercraft-investor-pushes-company-to-explore-sale

I have no knowledge of how or why an investment firm would want a company to sell, I'm assuming they would make money from the sale of a company they're invested in, but I don't understand it.

If Mastercraft was to be sold would that really change anything for their ski boats though or would a new company just continue to produce Mastercraft boats!?!

Hopefully this isn't going to happen, but I was just startled to read this and have no idea what the consequences would be if it were to happen.

• Baller
It’s really hard to say what will happen to MC. In the past they have been owned by revlon Coleman as mentioned prior. The quality has always been good or at least no noticeable changes. I really do t see Malibu picking them up. The boats are to similar and too much of a direct competitor.

• Baller
That’s easy ... the equity firm is pushing some PR to get a bump in share price so they can unload their 5% over a few months. Rather than just liquidating and pushing an unusually high volume of shares into the market driving the share price down.

• Baller
Meh, nothing to do with covid. Typical venture capital bs. They never intend to hold on long term. Comparing mc to bu isn't really a fair comparison anyways. Have you been on a modern mc (vdrive)? Tacky and 2nd or 3rd best. (Dds don't count)

• Baller

Common practice to have one parent own multiple brand names . So regardless of who you buy, they win . We’ve all seen this many times before in the auto industry, electronics, Insurance, etc. Don’t compete . Buy them . Preserve the brand loyalty. Nice market expansion/ consolidation . But would also agree with earlier post that a 5% shareholder is stirring the pot for a premium.

• Administrators

@unksskis I appreciate that you are outraged but in this case it is simply the news. Please be angry at your fellow Forum members in the future when they really do bash my advertisers or make my life difficult in some other way.

MasterCraft is a publicly traded company. Unless an activist Investment Group came in and took over the board and then replaced all of management I can't see how this would impact the ProStar or the company's involvement in water skiing. This is interesting financial news but that is about it.

I just wish I had bought a bunch of MCFT stock in April or May.

• Baller
I think the surf battle has to do with the area you're in. In the last 2 years since Action arrived I've seen more and more Mastercrafts on the lakes. Without a good Mastercraft dealer we've been dominated with Malibu and Axis from Tommy's, and of course being the home of Nautique. I think skiers will travel farther for the boat of their choice than the surfers and wakeboarders.

• Baller

@ScottScott - here the Mastercraft/Supra/Moomba dealer is a half mile from the Malibu dealer, and they are both near the big money lake. Both are well respected dealers, and I could not tell you the last time I saw a new Mastercraft on the lake - they must be selling some, just don't know where they are going. Around here Malibu and Nautique are clearly the current choices.

In any event I'll bet they have something in the hopper, if nothing else the whole surf thing is driving a lot of innovation.

• Baller
I used to sell resins to the marine industry back in the 80's and 90's. Around 1986 or so Bayliner (our largest customer) was bought out by the Brunswick co. You may remember, Bayliner came out with a competition ski boat, and it wasn't to bad a boat. They eventually discontinued it for two reasons. A company like Bayliner (Brunswick) want volume.The volume wasn't there and secondly, they did not like having to go through the AWSA approval process. Sunbird boats at that time was also looking at making a tournament boat, but decided the volume wasn't there. I believe in MC gets bought by Brunswick, you will see the same situation. The volume for tournament boats isn't there. This is just my opinion.

• Baller_

@Horton - so regional in our area that you can see popularity between east and west side of the metro area aligned with dealer location and our area has all 3 top brands! Pretty amazing.

For the home run of the new Prostar, one can hope that any potential changes don't alter the company culture & focus.

• Baller

I don't think that anything comes of it. As many have noted, the activist investor only owns 5%.

That said, I would consider a purchase by Brunswick corp to be a disaster for the brand. You could count on a reduction in quality. I don't think they have done much good for Sea Ray or Boston Whaler.

• Baller
Article in the Wall Street Journal today indicated Master Craft posted first quarter net profit of $9.6 million although revenue slipped. It went on to say "sales figures benefited from a shift towward higher-priced (read wake/surf) models and lower dealer incentives". Shares rose 8.7% and are up for than 50% YTD.

• Administrators
FYI- MasterCraft Boat Holdings is not just the MasterCraft boats that we all know. It is MasterCraft, NauticStar, Crest and Aviara. It is pontoon boats, luxury boats and fishing boats also.