The Lost Barton Films - Part 1 ( 1969 Nationals Berkeley California )

Horton

• Baller

Really cool seeing the old Hydrodynes! Also, how many saw any trick release mechanisms on the boats? I don't recall seeing any until the mid to late seventies. You learned tricks the hard way and had to trust your driver. I got bounced off the bottom in a bear claw toe harnness once by an inattentive practice driver. Almost drowned. Damned sisters!

• Baller

@ALPJr Berkeley does rock. In the grew up skiing at that place. Made a lot f good friends. Even met Horton there at the 80 regionals..

Watching that film is sweet. . Believe it or not they have style points in jump back then. So not not only did they have to go far. But with style. Dam I’ve been in this sport a long time.

• Baller
That was fun to watch. I have the original program from the event. Looks like KLP won his division, as the guy before him ran 2.5, KLP fell around 4 I wonder what the winning score was? 3.5 @ 36 off remember that was pre metric course & ropes.

Men tricks include Ricky McCormick, Alan Kempton and I think Mike Suyderhoud. (Not in that order.) The first skier doing ramp tricks I think is Lee Lyman.

The skier at the 28 mark skiing behind the twin Johnson Cobia is Ricky McCormick. @MarkTimm had it right. I've got film of Ricky when I skied against him in the All American the following year. Nearly the identical run.

How many times have you ever seen a two-ski W5B? The next year Ricky and Alan added Reverse toe back, toe front to their runs. The beginning of the reverse toe era. No releases. Of course, Bruce Cockburn had been doing reverse toes for a long time before the Americans caught up.

I tried to mimic everything Ricky did. Two years later I started my run with the a two ski W5B in at least one tournament.

• Baller

How many times have you ever seen a two-ski W5B? The next year Ricky and Alan added Reverse toe back, toe front to their runs. The beginning of the reverse toe era. No releases. Of course, Bruce Cockburn had been doing reverse toes for a long time before the Americans caught up.

I tried to mimic everything Ricky did. Two years later I started my run with the a two ski W5B in at least one tournament.

• Baller

zc5bbxzqkktw.jpge39284m25kc4.jpgA few years ago I found these old waterski patches on Ebay. The Ski Supreme one made it onto the sleeve of a fleece. The '69 Nationals patch is really cool. Just haven't found something to put it on yet.

As an aside, those 2 ski trick passes are bad ass. Too bad the AWSA point values (or lack there of) have essentially phased them out.

• Baller

zc5bbxzqkktw.jpge39284m25kc4.jpgA few years ago I found these old waterski patches on Ebay. The Ski Supreme one made it onto the sleeve of a fleece. The '69 Nationals patch is really cool. Just haven't found something to put it on yet.

As an aside, those 2 ski trick passes are bad ass. Too bad the AWSA point values (or lack there of) have essentially phased them out.