FPM Podcast #1: Will Asher - Importance of Trying New Things

ROBOT

• Baller_

@Horton @Deanoski yeah, that’s the magic setup:

DFT (does it really make a difference after those first 2 numbers??)

Wing prob 11 or a bit more.

Shoulda taken a “try new things often” page from Will’s playbook much earlier in my career...

• Baller_

Marcus, here are a few ideas:

- How to achieve balance on the ski and why its important. What to do when you get out of balance.

- Importance of upper body rotation/alignment at each phase of the course, i.e. open vs closed behind the boat and in the turns. Why are some high end skiers open and others are closed?

- Advantages/disadvantages of binding type, i.e. double hardshell vs HS w/ RTP or rubber. Yeah its personal preference and what you get use to but why?

- ZO settings among the high end skiers and why they prefer them. Is there a correlation for skier style and weight?

I think the 20 min max time on the videos is about right.

If it was easy, they would call it Wakeboarding

• Baller

@MarcusBrown - love this podcast. Keep it up!

I have a couple ideas for future podcasts.

1. Not everyone on this forum is skiing shortline, but so many of us want (need) to get there (or at least the next line length). Let’s say there are three keys (body position, handle location, vision etc) to success at a particular line length: 15off and 22off, 28off and 32off, 35off and 38off, 39off and better. What three keys are there to each line length and how do they build upon one another as a skier progresses?

2. What ski design/profiles compliment a particular skiing style?

3. This touches a little bit on what you and Will Asher spoke about on this podcast, but how can you best determine what setup (ski, fin, binding combo, etc) and technique compliment a skier regardless of ability level. Maybe put another way, what attributes during a ski run make you think “AH HA, that is what I want to do when I approach the gate,buoy,wake,turn etc”