Question for the Northern Guys

mike_mapple

• Baller_

Hey Guys,

I have a customer who skis up north deep into the winter, when everyone else stops. They are looking for what gloves would be best, as I am pretty set on my nice warm weather down here I did not have a strong opinion, so I figured I would ask, as I know they will lurk and look.

Thanks for any input you have!

Performance Ski and Surf 

Mike@perfski.com

👾

• Baller_

I’m a recent transfer to Fl but did lots of cold water skiing in Mn.

No Kevlar. Makes the hands colder and harder to grip the handle.

Any good Amara glove that has a few sets on them is the best. Always have a cooler of hot water in the boat and keep hands above water as much as you can.

• Baller
Nitrile gloves under regular gloves. Cooler with hot water in the boat for hands and feet when you finish set. We have also been known to use the hot water after a couple passes even. Generally the cold numb feet aren’t too much of a problem but numb hands make it pretty hard.

• Baller

Tip from Sweden;

Kevlar liner, then long nitrile or vinyl gloves that goes under wetsuit/drysuit, then one size larger than normal amora gloves. The nitrile glove is good both for water and wind proofing. On top of that it helps with s smaller diameter handle than your normal size due to the bulkier hands.

• Baller_
I used to smear clear silicone on the backside of my gloves, between the fingers and thumb tip as well. It's the wind-proofing that helps the most. +1 on the cooler of warm water before/after, and keeping your hands up when you drop. Now that we are older/wiser, we need air temp of at least 45 to ski in the off-season, the little neoprene beanie from the kite skiing guys makes a huge difference for those of us with less hair than we used to have