Which Slalom Ski Should I get?

SGD

I’m a female, age 34, weigh 98lbs. I started waterskiing 2 years ago. I skied on combo Jr. Celebrity O’Brien 58” for a while until I was able to drop one ski. Lately I’ve been practicing deep water start on a slalom ski. I’ve been able to get out of the water but not really to stay up on the ski. I’m looking to buy my own slalom ski but not sure about the size of ski. I’ve tried the Radar TRA 63”. It feels ok. I find that it’s harder for me to balance myself on the ski rather than using a single combo ski.

Ski speed currently is 22-23. Would appreciate some advice!

• Baller

I can add my gf struggled with the combo drop, would flop right over within a short distance. The next season began with a 63" HO girls Omni, and immediately was rock stable and skiing well upon first attempt. she loves it, loves the sport, the ski is a great fit.

At 47/5' 105#, very close to your mass, and ability when she got it, so i believe it would suit you very well.

Your speed seems prohibitively slow, and that could make an otherwise perfect ski feel very irregular. Consider aim for 26 minimum. In our case, 29mph became her happy spot for long duration skiing.

• Baller
Welcome :) The HO Omni is great, as are the Connelly V and the Radar Senate. I suggest a 65” which will provide a little more stability for you now and be helpful as you continue to build your knowledge and skills.

• Baller
At 5'1" and 98 lbs I would think she is perfect for a 63" Omni. If she were taller the 65" would probably work well but it's a big wider and that's a lot of ski for her height and weight. Sure the speeds are slower now but that will be short lived and 28 mph is a great speed for an adult to free ski and learn. Just my opinion.

Any opinion on a wider ski like the Radar butterknife? It comes only in 65” though which I worry will be too big for me. Is there a point to getting a wider ski? Or should I just keep trying with the Omni?

• Baller
I would try a 65" D3. At your height and weight I don't think you need a wider ski. D3s are very user friendly and great for smaller beginning course skiers. The 65" ski will give you enough ski for slower speeds and the traditional shape will allow you to go faster when its time.

• Baller

" I’ve been able to get out of the water but not really to stay up on the ski. "

You should have a wider ski until you get comfortable getting up and staying up. TRA is a little too early for you. @brooks should be able to recommend something like a P6 to start with and then quickly move to something faster as you get comfortable.

Also to add speed is what you feel comfortable with and without the ski sinking. You can ski slower with a wider ski,

• Members
the reason you may find balancing on a slalom ski more difficult could be because of the more aggressive concave design making the ski "hunt for an edge" rather than combo skis will tend to be happier to cruise in a straight line. obviously once you are cutting through the wakes aggressively a purpose built slalom ski will be better.

• Baller

@harrison_343 , i understand that your statement is conventional wisdom and I would have stated the same, had I not witnessed my gf flop over without control on a std tunneled Connelly combo slalom then magically ski true, straight and in precise control on the Omni as if she was doing it for decades.

I think her (sgd) instability could be more a function of low speed and likely still in a 'combo:' stance vs slalom stance

Thanks everyone for all your insights.

The first thing I am going to try is to increase the speed. I hope this will make me feel more comfortable on the slalom ski and allow me to balance myself more. I still feel better and more balanced on the combo ski. I definitely need to work on my form on a slalom ski that’s for sure. I’ve only been on it a couple of times so far.

Many recommended the HO Omni. I will try to demo it but not sure they have it at the place I ski. I might demo 65” just to see if it makes a difference.

• Baller

If considering the Radar Senate you would instead look at a Radar Lyric. It is the Senate only tweaked a bit for a female. Also, without reading all posts in depth I think a wider ski was mentioned. Maybe look at a Radar Session. The website description lines up with your speed and early skier challenges.

https://radarskis.com/products/womens-session

• Baller

Youre asking a question on a ski site that has excessive compulsive members about a basically beginner slalom ski....these people get wrapped around the axle on fin settings for a particular lunar cycle and fret about changing binding/fin position for a 1 degree water temp change...

They will tell you to get a ski that’s waaaay too advanced for your skill level, much too short, it will suck, you will have spent a lot of money and you won’t be having fun...

A longer ski will be MUCH easier to ski at slower speeds where you need to be to build solid fundamentals, will be MUCH easier get up on and basically be a LOT MORE FUN.

As your skill level raises you can get a better ski...

A beginner driver doesn’t buy a Formula 1 car to learn to drive...

One of my ski friends is female, probably weights 135 and skis my 69” Butterknife and LOVES IT because IT’S SO EASY TO SKI. Get a ski that’s EASY to ski, won’t wear you out because it’s too short and have fun...the rest will come with time.

• Baller
@SGD just looked at the Radar website and notice that the Butterknife is no longer listed. Looks like the model was replaced by the Session, which appears to the fill the same purpose as the Butterknife. On the HO side you would probably like the HO Freeride. My dad has a Freeride and absolutely loves how easy it is to get up on and is even more impressed with how long he can ski without getting tired. I'm sure that either will be a lot of fun. Whatever you go with, enjoy and let us know how things progress.

• Baller

@Than_Bogan ...yes and no....look at how MANY post topics there are on ski/fin/binding/boot/tow line/boat assessments/comparisons/adjustments in micro or nano amounts in this group that’s OCD off the scale for CHASING BALLS.

This is to be EXPECTED for high skill level skiers who compete (who the majority of this sites membership include). And honestly, all the competition events I’ve been to no one is having fun...all business, super serious, no smiles or laughs, and THAT’S ok as well. They are there to compete, not there for an ice cream social.

Nothing WRONG with that, but THIS person is looking for a beginner slalom ski and you guys are suggesting carbon fiber Uber skis to her. Suggesting a Senate to her is insane. I have one, it’s NOT a beginner slalom ski. I’m a strong, solid skier and this ski has more in it than I can get out of it at this point in time. It’s NOT easy to ski hard. I can ski my BK all day...I LIKE the challenge of the Senate, but If was a beginner struggling after coming off a combo set I would probably put it on the shelve or sell it. I course ski for personal satisfaction and to raise MY skill level. The OP may or may not pursue that, if she does the better ski and gear will come as she progresses.

• Baller
@jetsetr you probably have a point. My dad tried a Carbon Omni but it was too much ski for him. He could ski it and there were no problems with stability but it just didn't fit what he did and speed he wanted. For him, the Freeride was a great fit and he says how much he likes the ski every time I'm with him. We can slow the boat down if it is rougher out and speed up to 29 mph when smooth, taking pressure off his hands so he can go for really long runs.