What is the Benefit of Syndicate Hardshell vs vMax, xMax, skyMax etc

svxwilson

• Baller

Hello,

For those of you who have made the switch to the hardshell from soft shell lace up models, was it worth the extra $? I am a developing course skier, but every few years my bindings fall apart on me.

I am curious if the hardshell has a performance benefit and if it generally lasts longer? Current boots are 2017 vMax boots with liners, previous ones were 2014 xMax.

I do really like the direct connect that apparently the syndicate hardshell doesn't use. I am deciding my next set. Don't think my vMax is going to last the season.

Cheers! Thank you for your thoughts!

Aaron

• Baller

I've been happily using hardshells for around 10 years. I can't imagine going back. Connection to the ski is way better. My wife, who skis at 15-off/27mph now, made the switch this winter and sings their praises as well. She went with Edge hardshells, which is the same as the HO Syndicate design. I wish I had chosen them for my most recent binding. I like the design much better than Reflex. I feel it is much more durable.

Oh, and with hardshells, you don't have to use soap. ;-) Seems silly, but getting ready to ski is streamlined. Clip in and go.

• Baller

@Garn whether it is safer is a matter of much debate. As is whether it drives better performance. The best skier in the world skis on rubber.

It is very different than what you are skiing on and it may drive improvement for you. I have switched back and forth a couple of times and am back on a Radar Carbitex but I skied about the same (deep 35 off at the time) on a Radar Strada and a Reflex. They are comfortable and durable but they also take some maintenance that may not be required on your current bindings. You also get pretty much the same fit every time you put them on. Moving to hardshells definitely takes some getting used to.

• Baller

Well I did it, just ordered a syndicate hardshell and an animal rear boot. Guess I will have both lace up and hardshell and can report back with my findings.

Thanks for your opinions, I love to hear what other people think, slalom opinions anyway :smile: !