Painting window frame of a 196

Wish

• Baller_
So having a 1997 196 is a challenge to keep it looking new. Over time, the window frame on mostly the drivers side has faded some, and the paint has come off or something. I think this is do to decades of drivers holding the frame to get in and out of the drivers seat. So sweat and such has eaten it some. It only needs painting from center of windshield frame over to where it meets the gunnel. Passenger side looks fine. Any suggestions for matching paint, what kind of paint, prep and anything else you can think of is appreciated. Thanks.

• Baller
@Wish I masked the windshield and any areas paint overspray could effect then sanded my 02 frame with 400 wet/dry to bare metal the best I could. I then spray painted the frame with a bottle of Rustoleum satin black. I have done a few small touch ups on areas the boat cover rubbed off over the years.

• Baller

@wish Mine looks great man...what gives? ?

My challenge is original upholstery starting to split drivers and observers along seam. Still nice n cushy tho. Cud use a nice cover too been just a dust cover which is ok it’s under a lift canopy or in storage all of its life...but if situation changes wud b nice to have a well fitting cover.

Since it’s an apparent appreciating asset tho we shud feel comfy putting $$ into it, right?

• Baller

I'm in the same boat. The black frame needs to be repainted. Since its worn where the original owners put the mirror and on the passenger side where the dock line rubs against it.

I much prefer the aluminum from later years. Would be interested in the process to do that.

@thager would you just use a paint stripper?

• Baller
@keithh2oskier If it's paint yes. If anodized, sand with medium grit followed by finer and finer grit wet/dry. Finish with rubbing compound and then a polish like Mothers Mag and Aluminum polish. Buff with a buffing wheel.

• Baller_
@Paul_k isnt that for plastics? If I’m going to paint the whole thing which sounds like I am, what about engine paint or a smooth truck bed-liner paint (did a mower deck with that once). Just not sure considering it’s aluminum.

Hey, how are you doing today? Painting a window frame is a fun for me. I enjoy painting window frame. To paint a window frame, you’ll need a paint. Your paint will more durable if you choose the right paint. Here I share with you a article for you. https://painttocolor.com/paint-for-tool-box/ check here some good paint for your window frame.

• Baller_

The best spray paint I have found for almost all purposes is VHT Caliper Paint. You don't need the high heat tolerance but multiple coats applied within an hour flow out extremely well and it dries quickly. Most other fast drying spray paints are harder to get recoats within the hour to layout in a smooth wet film. Their Wheel paint if pretty much the same but with lower heat tolerance.

Not many auto stores carry the full VHT line, so I order the Caliper paint on Amazon.

This is also good and its more available - home depot- and its available in satin. Its not like other spray cans . . it comes out like a fire hose so mask well.

cbfajc9l1zst.jpg

Another prep option for the entire frame is Scotchbright wet with 409 cleaner. The cleaner will help get the oils away the joints where rubber gaskets meet the glass. But if the old paint needs feathering to raw metal, use the 400 wet & dry sandpaper as others have mentioned to feather the paint smooth to the bare metal.