offside technique question

craigmeade

I am skiing on a 2017 VTX Ho Syndicate, have limited access to a private lake/course so I mostly am free skiing.

The question i have is related to offside cutting technique. I noticed this morning that with a headwind, my offside cut and carve was suddenly much better. Basically, it seemed like the headwind allowed a brake and quick transition to get the ski on edge. Without the headwind I have more difficulty doing this consistently.

All insights and comments appreciated!

• Baller

Yep. A slight and steady headwind can be as much help as a tailwind is a hindrance.

I was just in that situation this morning and I happened to notice my pre turn knee bend was better on my offside, which allows the ski to turn easier and be in better position, sooner, for the pull.

• Baller

Sounds like as you approach your off side turn, your not gliding long enough in between accelerating across the wakes and initiating the turn. As you cross the wake you are going faster than the boat, the glide let’s you slow down to match the boat speed before turning. The head wind in this case helps you slow down more quickly, which is helping your off side turn.

Gordon Rathbun has a set of good drills that will help you with this, here is one of them: