Don't forget to tune into Swiss Pro Tricks this Sunday

https://www.swissprotricks.com/

Horton Horton

ION-S VS. Vapor Pro Build

dbaconaz

• Baller
I recently got the Vapor to demo. Have only tried the long shallow fin setting so far. It has tons of speed and turns very well with the tip of the ski staying down. Hang on, cuz it will take you for a ride. First time out of the box it got me into ‘32@34. Did a couple back to back ‘32@32 as well. There is a lot to this ski.

• Baller
I have been on Radar since 2016 model currently on 2018 with access to a 2020. Radar 2020 is a good ski but did not give me any more buoys- so no change in 2019/2020. So I was thinking of waiting for the Radar 2021 model comes out. Opertunity Came up to test D3 NGR Evo and the ION. The ION had the speed of the Radar but far more predictable and I felt I came out of my 1 3 5 side with angle I could control Far better than my current set up. I need another test but I suspect the ION could be the best ski I have been on to date. It’s that good

Bump. Interested in any D3 updates.

I'm just an average Joe looking for the next ski. I've been on Radars for the last three skis. Currently 2018 Vapor Pro. I ski 34.2 -22 and -28 (starting to see -32 this year.) D3 NRG and ION have appealed to me to maybe replace the radar.

I like the speed of the Vapor, especially the ability to make a mistake and get back into the pass. But seems to be less predictable on my turns (I'm sure its 99% skier fault). I have a tendency to stand on the tail on my harder passes, or later in my set.

• Baller
@Joeprunc I skied a vapor from '14 to '16 and have been on the D3 NRG now NRG R-1 ever since. I too tend to ride the tail and my turns are much more consistent especially on my offside. I also tried the ION but went back to the NRG R-1 after 8 sets. It tolerated moving around on the ski and a bit of tail riding better. You will find the D3's really stick well in the turn, very predictable, but just not quite as fast but they do seem to build angle even though you might not have a lot of angle coming off the turn. PM me if you need more detail.

• Baller
A few questions. Is the NRG (NRG R1) wider than the ION (ION-S), and is the EVO wider than the NRG? Am I right in thinking that the D3 line of skis goes from ION at the top end to NRG to EVO at the bottom end, similarly to Radar skis where Vapor, rated up to 36 mph, is at the top end and then the Senate, rated up to 34 mph, comes next? When I look at the D3 size chart, I'm confused as all their skis seem to be rated up to 36 mph. What do Freddie Winter and Nate Smith use?

• Baller

@pregom The ION, ION-S and NRG R1 are all top of the line skis. The EVO/EVO-S is also a top of the line ski, it's just the model that got replaced by the ION and ION-S.

Freddie used to use the 66" NRG R1 and now he uses the 67" ION.

Nate used to use the 67" EVO and now he uses the 67" ION-S but with the red ION graphics.